Wiring Between 2 Switches - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring between 2 switches

Having problems figuring out what the builder did in wiring the light in my garage. I was replacing the switches in both the garage and inside the house, both control the single light in the garage.

I have two 3-way switches. Inside, I have 2 black wires and 1 red. Inside the garage I have 1 black and 2 red. Any ideas how to wire the garage? I can get the light to work from the inside switch but cannot manage to have the light work from the garage. I assumed that the black wire was the hot wire and the 2 red were carriers?

Anyone?
premierg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierg View Post
Having problems figuring out what the builder did in wiring the light in my garage. I was replacing the switches in both the garage and inside the house, both control the single light in the garage.
The builder left these wires for you to connect, or are you just replacing the switches?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

We need to know what you also have a the fixture.
If you want to try and figure it out this will help.
At one switch one of the wire should be hot. That goes on the common(black) screw. The other two go on the traveller screws. Install the first switch.
Then go to the other switch. One of the wire should now be hot. Flip the first switch. Another wire should now be hot. Those two are the travellers. The third wire goes on the common.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Getting to the fixture will be a bit diffiult due to ceilings in the garage are 25ft (still havent figured it out). Actually, there are 2 fixtures in the garage with both being controlled by the same 2 switches. I was replacing them and had 1 wired but then the other stopped working. Reverted back to the original switches. So is it trial and error getting the garage switch to work? Also, now recalling that I have 2 fixtures in the garage does this change something? I am guessing the garage fixtures are daisy chained.
premierg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

You will need to go to the second part of my post and find the hot feed wire. There will only be one at one switch.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement