Wiring To Add Sconce To Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Wiring to add sconce to circuit

Hi all:

Here is my situation. On the circuit that runs through a bedroom, there are 5 or 6 outlets and no other receptacles currently. The top 1/2 of the outlets (all of them together) are controlled by a switch. The bottom 1/2 of all them are always hot.

I would like to add a wall fixture roughly above where one of the existing outlets it, which I believe is in the middle of the run.

In the work box for the outlet in question, I have white/red/black coming in and then going out again, no extra nuts.

The top 1/2 of the outlet has white in, red in, red out (its the push in kind of outlet), with one "push in " hole empty (next to the white). The bottom half has the white running out, black in, black out, and another empty push-in). There is also a bare green ground.

Since its a bedside light, I want to have it running from the black wiring I think, so that its controlled at the fixture itself and not by the switch on the other side of the room.

What's the best way to run this? Can I branch it off from the existing run or do I have to rework things so that the new receptacle would be in the middle of the run and then keep going down the line?

Thanks as always.
schnitz411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

If the new fixture is directly above a receptacle then drop a new cable down inside the wall and connect it to the black and white in the receptacle box. Install a new box for your sconce and connect the sconce. To ad the third wire to the black connection you need to remove the two black wires from the receptacle and and wire nut them together with the new black wire and short length of black wire. Connect the short black wire to the receptacle.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Is it code-compliant to wire-nut together four wires?

Also, when I've run some wire in the past for small projects I've had a lot of trouble and ended up snapping off a lot of ends. What gague/type/materials would you all best suggest for this application for ease of manipulating it?
schnitz411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

You must use the cable that matches the breaker for the circuit.
#12 for 20 amp.
#14 for 15 amp.
If you use the proper size wire nut there is no problem putting four wires in one nut.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement