Wire up another doorbell?
I thought that this would be easy, but it's driving me crazy. I'm finishing the basement, and the GC who built my house dropped a doorbell wire to the basement for me. It has a white wire and a red one. I've tried hooking it up to the bell (which he left for me too) in every possible combination. None work. Sometimes the bell just locks in the closed position, other times it does nothing.
I attached a diagram to help explain better. Again, all I have to work with in the basement is a white and a red wire. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get this tackled are much appreciated!
1. Transformer to "trans" or "common" terminal of ringer. (left red line shown)
2. "Front" terminal of ringer to button. (move the right red line)
3. Button to transformer, except no wire nut in middle. (horizontal-ish black lines as shown)
To add second ringer to sound off at the same time, add:
4. From transformer* or from other ringer's "trans" terminal to this "trans" terminal. (center red line)
5. From button* or from other ringer's "front" terminal to this "front" terminal.
It is possible that there isn't enough power to ring both. One solution is to choose a different pair of terminals (if present) at the transformer to obtain a higher voltage. Be careful that if you install an illuminated button, you can burn that out with a higher voltage setting.
* Alternate attachment point which will actually give better performance. Use same terminal that red wire to first ringer was attached to, with wire nut and pigtail there if convenient.
Try it like this:
Awesome. Thanks to both of you. Thanks especially to kbsparky for taking the time to modify the pic!
I'll give it a try tomorrow.
I hooked it up like you guys described, and it works like a charm. Thanks a ton!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.