Wire Setup - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Wire setup

Hi,

I am changing my old medicine cabinet in my bathroom which had an outlet and lights that where within it. In it's place, I bought a separate medicine cabinet / mirror, a light fixture and an outlet so I will still have all three items. There are 3 wires that are wired from my house, 3 wires from the light fixture and I bought a romex wiring cable which also has 3 wires and attached it to the outlet. Each has a black power wire, a common wire and a ground wire.

I will shut off the circuit breaker for my bathroom, combine all 3 black wires, twist them together and cap it with a wire connector. I all do the same with the white and ground wires. Is it safe to plug in a outlet tester to see if there is power to the outlet when I turn the circuit it breaker back on without placing the outlet inside a junction box or do I need to place it in a junction box and place it on the sink before i turn the power on?

Any responses are appreciated.

thx
tonino2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 58

Is there a wall switch for the light or does the light fixture have it's own switch? Let's know this before going further.
Wiredindallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

Re: Wire setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredindallas View Post
Is there a wall switch for the light or does the light fixture have it's own switch? Let's know this before going further.
There is a light switch which will control the light and the outlet at the same time. The outlet wont be used often as it will be for a hair dryer only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

Assuming the 3 wires of each color are: entering the j box from the switch, on the light fixture and from the receptacle, you are correct. As long as the screws on he receptacle are not touching anything, you can turn on the breaker to test before installing.
Wiredindallas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiredindallas For This Useful Post:
tonino2424 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 640

The receptacle will need to be GFCI or protected by another GFCI receptacle or breaker.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

Is it safe to plug in a outlet tester to see if there is power to the outlet when I turn the circuit it breaker back on without placing the outlet inside a junction box or do I need to place it in a junction box and place it on the sink before i turn the power on?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Edit: make that I place it on cinder block. Can I get a response on this plz?

TYVM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,030

First let me say that in no way do I wish to be unkind. But based on the wording of your original post and on the latest question you ask, I think you are in way over your head. I don't think you have a basic understanding of electricity, how things work or residential wiring. It would be best if you could find some assistance, possibly from a friend.

With that said, I assume that you had a surface mounted medicine cabinet with a built in light fixture and that light fixture had a built in receptacle. There is also a light switch on the wall somewhere in the bath that controlled the light. You have remove that medicine cabinet and all the wiring connections were contained in the light fixture.
I have the impression that there are 3 cables coming in to the light fixture, each with a hot (black), neutral (white) and ground (bare) wire.

Note: A wire is a wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. It helps if you use the correct terminology.

You said that you have purchased a new medicine cabinet (I assume surface mounted) a light fixture and an outlet. The medicine cabinet would of course simply be mounted to the wall. Hopefully attach to 2 studs.

How the light fixture is installed depends to some extent on its design. Some are designed such that the cables can be brought into the fixture and the wiring connections made there. Some are designed such that a electrical box is installed in the wall and all wiring connections are made there, including the connections of the wires to the fixture itself. I understand that you also want to install receptacle some where on that wall.

You said that you have connected all the black wires (including the wires to the light itself) together, all the white wires together and all the ground (bare) wires together.

Since there is a wall switch involved, I can assure you that is incorrect.

Here is the basic concept, assuming I understand correctly what you are attempting to do.

You have one cable with a hot (black) wire, a neutral (white) wire and a ground (bare) wire bring electricity to this location. You have another cable with the same black, white and bare wires taking electricity to some other location. You have a third cable that takes electricity to the switch and returns it to the light fixture when the switch is turned on. Therefore, your wiring connections as described would be incorrect.

Now you also want to install an outlet or receptacle, presumably in the wall by the medicine cabinet. That will of course require a fourth cable. I can not see anyway you could make all those wiring connections in the new light fixture you want to use. That means you are going to have to install a box in the wall to make those wiring connections and install the light fixture to that box.

Would be best if you clarify what you are trying to do. Pictures would probably help.

Last edited by hkstroud; 05-14-2019 at 01:16 AM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
First let me say that in no way do I wish to be unkind. But based on the wording of your original post and on the latest question you ask, I think you are in way over your head. I don't think you have a basic understanding of electricity, how things work or residential wiring. It would be best if you could find some assistance, possibly from a friend.

With that said, I assume that you had a surface mounted medicine cabinet with a built in light fixture and that light fixture had a built in receptacle. There is also a light switch on the wall somewhere in the bath that controlled the light. You have remove that medicine cabinet and all the wiring connections were contained in the light fixture.
I have the impression that there are 3 cables coming in to the light fixture, each with a hot (black), neutral (white) and ground (bare) wire.

Note: A wire is a wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. It helps if you use the correct terminology.

You said that you have purchased a new medicine cabinet (I assume surface mounted) a light fixture and an outlet. The medicine cabinet would of course simply be mounted to the wall. Hopefully attach to 2 studs.

How the light fixture is installed depends to some extent on its design. Some are designed such that the cables can be brought into the fixture and the wiring connections made there. Some are designed such that a electrical box is installed in the wall and all wiring connections are made there, including the connections of the wires to the fixture itself. I understand that you also want to install receptacle some where on that wall.

You said that you have connected all the black wires (including the wires to the light itself) together, all the white wires together and all the ground (bare) wires together.

Since there is a wall switch involved, I can assure you that is incorrect.

Here is the basic concept, assuming I understand correctly what you are attempting to do.

You have one cable with a hot (black) wire, a neutral (white) wire and a ground (bare) wire bring electricity to this location. You have another cable with the same black, white and bare wires taking electricity to some other location. You have a third cable that takes electricity to the switch and returns it to the light fixture when the switch is turned on. Therefore, your wiring connections as described would be incorrect.

Now you also want to install an outlet or receptacle, presumably in the wall by the medicine cabinet. That will of course require a fourth cable. I can not see anyway you could make all those wiring connections in the new light fixture you want to use. That means you are going to have to install a box in the wall to make those wiring connections and install the light fixture to that box.

Would be best if you clarify what you are trying to do. Pictures would probably help.
I am trying to do is add a receptacle with power so a hair dryer can be used when my light switch is turned on. In the paste, my medicine cabinet light would turn on when I turned on the switch before walking into my bathroom. The following pics show the wires i want to connect to achieve what I am trying to do.

https://imgur.com/HWzAo8o

https://imgur.com/wvVrZu3

https://imgur.com/mTlfPrL

Thx
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #10

Show another picture of the light fixture, not so close up. Want to see the whole thing. I this a new fixture or the one you took down?
Show another picture of the place where the medicine cabinet was. Not so close
Also want to see the metal boxes where wires are connected together.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Show another picture of the light fixture, not so close up. Want to see the whole thing. I this a new fixture or the one you took down?
Show another picture of the place where the medicine cabinet was. Not so close
Also want to see the metal boxes where wires are connected together.
https://imgur.com/w6eN3ZL

https://imgur.com/GTg6yMA

Also want to see the metal boxes where wires are connected together. NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN.

Plz let me know if you need any other info. thx

PS: I will cut a hole in my drywall but I want to make sure that outlet works first.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #12

Get some better lighting. At first the area of the red circle looked like electrical boxes. Maybe its just the wall paper.

I assume every thing in the photo is electrical wires.

To post a picture here directly
Click on go advance, click on "Manage attachments", browse and find picture. (Jpeg format).
Click on open then click on upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Wire setup-light-2-1-.jpg   Wire setup-light-2-2-.jpg  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #13

As per your request.
Attached Thumbnails
Wire setup-img_20190514_115823.jpg   Wire setup-img_20190514_121312.jpg  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #14

Show me the medicine cabinet you took out. Are you replacing the medicine cabinet or are you simply trying to put in the outlet?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonino2424 View Post
Hi,

I am changing my old medicine cabinet in my bathroom which had an outlet and lights that where within it. In it's place, I bought a separate medicine cabinet / mirror, a light fixture and an outlet so I will still have all three items. There are 3 wires that are wired from my house, 3 wires from the light fixture and I bought a romex wiring cable which also has 3 wires and attached it to the outlet. Each has a black power wire, a common wire and a ground wire.

I will shut off the circuit breaker for my bathroom, combine all 3 black wires, twist them together and cap it with a wire connector. I all do the same with the white and ground wires. Is it safe to plug in a outlet tester to see if there is power to the outlet when I turn the circuit it breaker back on without placing the outlet inside a junction box or do I need to place it in a junction box and place it on the sink before i turn the power on?

Any responses are appreciated.

thx

-Be sure power is off to circuit.

-Mount your box for the new light fixture.
-Install existing cable and the new cable for the new GFCI receptacle.
-Connect white to white, black to black, ground to ground with a pigtail wire to ground the box (if it's metal.)
-Cable to new receptacle into new box
-Wire GFCI according to instructions. Ground new box if metal.
-Restore power, test GFCI receptacle.
-Light fixture connects to white/white and black/black and ground/ground respectively.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement