Wire Mogul Light Socket To Wall Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wire Mogul Light Socket To Wall Outlet

Hello,

I have this light (100watt) and mogul socket, and am wondering how I should go about wiring them up. Is it possible to wire them to a wall outlet?

Thanks.
peteyb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

I can't say for sure but probably not.

Did the socket you have come with the light? Are there any other parts to the kit?

Most likely that lamp (bulb) needs to go with a specific fixture that has a matching fluorescent ballast in it.

That lamp probably has a mogul base to give you a 'heads up' that you can't just screw it in and turn it on.

In addition, if you are working with sub components such as sockets or switches, you need to build a fixture that holds everything together and hides the wires. You would add a power cord with a plug.

The socket you have pictured is often used with temporary overhead lighting (where people can't just reach up and touch it). The pigtails on the socket are simply spliced to the hanging power wires. Incandescent lamps, which don't need ballasts, would be used. Mogul bases are often found on incandescent lamps of more than 300 watts.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

That flourscent lamp you have there that is NOT self regulated ballast at all they were designed to work with exsting mercury vapour luminaire and if you did hook up direct to the 120 volt source it will run but it will destory the bulb due there is almost nothing to reluaged the lamp current.

And I have see it blow up when they hook up direct sans ballast unless the instruction specficly say so.

Normally the Mougal base socket is typically found in indentscent bulbs larger than 300 watts { some will work with three way verison but kinda limited } otherwise common with HIDS { High Pressure Soduim , Metal Halide , Mercury Vapour } from 50 watts and up { and quite few will marked 4KV pulse rated to handle the starter voltage on HPS and pulse start Metal Halides }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. The socket did not come with the light, it was a mogul sized socket I had in my possesion. So what kind of ballast should I purchase? I can't seem to find CFL ballasts around the internet.
peteyb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyb1313 View Post
Thanks. The socket did not come with the light, it was a mogul sized socket I had in my possesion. So what kind of ballast should I purchase? I can't seem to find CFL ballasts around the internet.
Not this one that was designed to work wth exsting 175 W Mercury Vapour that why you can not find the CFL ballast for this size so if you still have the box with instruction that will stated it will work with Dusk to Dawn luminaire.

What you plan to use this one for ? if replace the burnout or dimmed Mercury Vapour bulb then yes it is possible to use that but NOT on Metal Halide ballast they will burn them up. { they have higher voltage rating than MV are rated }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement