Wire Method Through Brick - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wire Method Through Brick

Hello All,

I need to add an exterior outlet to the front of my house. 1925 solid brick house with crawlspace. My plan is to run NM through the crawlspace from a GFCI outlet in the basement to a junction box, then UF through the brick into the back of the outlet box.

Do I need to do anything with the UF of other than just run it through the brick? Person at home depot said I would need to protect it somehow. That's the first I've heard of that, so I'mm looking for some further info.

Thanks! (I looked on here, but my search skills failed me)
DenverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 958

You don't need to do anything else.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBob View Post
Hello All,

I need to add an exterior outlet to the front of my house. 1925 solid brick house with crawlspace. My plan is to run NM through the crawlspace from a GFCI outlet in the basement to a junction box, then UF through the brick into the back of the outlet box.

Do I need to do anything with the UF of other than just run it through the brick? Person at home depot said I would need to protect it somehow. That's the first I've heard of that, so I'mm looking for some further info.

Thanks! (I looked on here, but my search skills failed me)

The guy told you that UF through the wall was unacceptable, but didn't try to sell you any conduit? Doesn't sound like much of a salesman to me...

If you're really concerned about it, you could bore a hole through the brick and then use PVC conduit through the wall between the two boxes, as long as you get a perpendicular bore hole.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

I don't think you need to transition to UF if the wire is going directly into an outdoor outlet. I think it is still considered indoors until you route the wire to a different location on the exterior of the house.

That outlet should be a Weather Resistant type (marked WR in blue). I believe those outlets are also GFCI, but they make non-gfci WR outlets if you plan to feed it from the load side of an exisiting GFCI. It should also be an in-use type (or bubble) cover.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna stick to my original plan. Good to know I'm not totally obsolete!
DenverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement