Whole House Surge Protector Suggestions? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Whole House Surge Protector Suggestions?

What model / type of whole house surge protector do you guys recommend?
There are so many stats, what ones matter most when comparing models?
Is there a way I can test my houses grounding system myself to ensure its good?

In looking around, there seems to be two main types of whole house surge protectors that are installed in your main breaker panel. One that looks similar to a breaker and clips in where a breaker would, and another type that mounts to the side of the panel box and then wires into one of your double pole breakers. Is one better or more effective than the other? I ask because my panel is recessed in drywall so installing one that mounts to the side of the box would be a pain, but I don't want to sacrifice protection by using the style that clips in where a double pole breaker would normally be.

My Home Depot Sells These:
GE THQLSURGE $45- http://www.geindustrial.com/publibra...T-285A|generic
SquareD HOM2175SB $55 - http://www.schneider-electric.us/pro...countryCode=us

I see this model installed by the Holmes on Homes tv show nearly ever episode: Sycom SYC-120/240TC - http://www.lightningrodparts.com/surge.html

There are so many others online as well, I just want to get the best bang for my buck. Any advice? Suggested models? Please help!
wmblalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,118
Rewards Points: 2,000

I prefer one made by the same company as my service panel. But third party add ons also work, they are sometimes harder to mount or install. If they have the UL label, they all basically do the same thing, shunt spikes to ground. Lightning arrestors are different, they usually self destruct when they get hit.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
mferguson0414 (03-05-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 38
Rewards Points: 25

I have one C-H panel that has surge protection already installed & at a seperate location a 2nd that uses the same surge protector, sold seperately wired into the Cutler Hammer panel. It is very much like the Sycom unit you referenced above.
nomad4137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician
frenchelectrican's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000

If you want whole house surge supressor two pole verison of it you have to match to the breker manufacter.

If exteral mounted normally I useally use Intermatic or Levition or couple other as the customer required.

There are few items is surge rating in amps and what kind of protection and features you want they go from simple one to all the way to bell and whitstle verison that will cost more.

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting main house to guest house... hlavine Building & Construction 31 03-28-2012 09:04 AM
replumbing an old house simonfrog Plumbing 7 01-30-2012 04:45 AM
Trane XR12 1.5 ton-Too small for my house? Badfish740 HVAC 7 09-23-2009 05:48 AM
I have Central Heating & Air, but house won't cool down..HELP!! exiledone1 HVAC 13 07-10-2009 10:09 PM
Whole house surge protector? 4thtbird Electrical 2 02-04-2008 07:19 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts