What Is This On Top Of My Light. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 214

What is this on top of my light.

This is on top of one of my lights in my basement and I have no idea what it is. It is a light the builder put in....which leads me to my next question. The basement has 4 lights that run off of the switch in the basement and 4 pull string lights. I am finishing all of the basement and will be putting can lights in with a drywall ceiling. What do I do with the current lights and wiring? For the people who finished their basement or other's basements what did you do with the existing wiring and lights?

Please see pic of light and look on top of the outlet. It has a wire running out of it (the brown wire).

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this on top of my light.-photo.jpg  
Abs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,080

Transformer. Probably for a doorbell?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #3

I thought it had something to do with my doorbell since it is right above there on the main floor. So what should I do with it when I put in the can lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

Move it to an accessible location on a new accessible box.

I agree it is a doorbell transformer.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

What is the best way to do this with a drywall ceiling and can lights? Will I have to make an access panel in my ceiling?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 692

I likeit installed next to the circuit breaker panel. Nice to have a convenience receptacle at the panel with the xformer installed on the side of that box.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Snav (04-13-2010)
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

Yeah does look like a doorbell transformer. Instead of dedicating a circuit for the doorbell he probably just branched it off the light. Is there a switch for those lights? Maybe double check to make sure the doorbell still works when the lights are off. I would assume he ran an unswitched hot there... at least it would be silly if he did not!

After a second look I don't even see a wire coming off the transformer. Is it stuck there, or can you remove it? Maybe he had a spare and just put it on top and forgot about it or something.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

If you leave it where it is then you need an access panel unless you install a drop ceiling. Then it will be accessible.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #9

Ok, Thanks.

How about this question...

For the people who finished their basement or any basements what did you do with the existing wiring and lights? They ran the main set of lights off of a circuit that goes upstairs to some outlets. I was going to put all of the basement lighting (30 cans) on their own circuits. The problem is I don't know what to do with the existing lights and wiring.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 View Post
Ok, Thanks.

How about this question...

For the people who finished their basement or any basements what did you do with the existing wiring and lights? They ran the main set of lights off of a circuit that goes upstairs to some outlets. I was going to put all of the basement lighting (30 cans) on their own circuits. The problem is I don't know what to do with the existing lights and wiring.

Thanks.
For wiring and fixtures in an unfinished basement that I no longer needed, I pulled it out. For wiring run through finished walls, I'm capping the ends with a wire nut (i.e. connect all wires to ground), push the wires out of the junction box, and abandoing it in place.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

I would remove the lights and wiring dedicated for those lights. You said that circuit also feeds upstairs? Well in that case you are going to have to box it and have an access door in that area, or put the splice in a surface mounted box and have a blank plate over it. But there is no need to have access to all the existing light boxes since you can just remove them.

As for the doorbell, you can splice that low voltage wire and bury it under the sheetrock. I would add a piece of bell wire long enough to get to your electrical panel and relocate the transformer there.
Shrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement