What Goes Here?? Extractor Fan? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What goes here?? Extractor fan?

Hi All,

As a recent first time homebuyer, or son of one.. I want to say thanks. you guys have helped me with 3 small projects that have helped me save some hard earned $$...

My next project... I have behind the kitchen(outside) that I though was just missing a vent cover.. After looking at the neighbor's house they have some sort of fan, I now notice a cable coming from my house as well so I'm guessing I need a fan...

Can someone tell me what I need and if the install is easy or not? Inside the house, behind it is the microwave which has the extractor fan for the stove so I'm guessing they work together somehow? I haven't tested the wires for power yet...

See picture:
Attached Thumbnails
What goes here?? Extractor fan?-img00345-20100802-2039.jpg  
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

That was a old style thru the wall exhaust fan.

Normally with the thru the wall exhaust fan the switch will be on the fan itself and expect the cable to be alive unless someone did remodel and disconnect it { I am pretty sure it still alive }

So you will need non concat voltage tester to verify if you have power there or not and that circuit should be on either kitchen lighting circuit or the counter top receptales one of the two.

Somecase you may find a unused switch on the wall as well near the fan location.

Merci.
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 08-02-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add quick info on it
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
That was a old style thru the wall exhaust fan.

Normally with the thru the wall exhaust fan the switch will be on the fan itself and expect the cable to be alive unless someone did remodel and disconnect it { I am pretty sure it still alive }

So you will need non concat voltage tester to verify if you have power there or not and that circuit should be on either kitchen lighting circuit or the counter top receptales one of the two.

Merci.
Marc
So this fan style turns on/off from outside?

Is it needed? Could I just put some sort or cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
So this fan style turns on/off from outside?

Is it needed? Could I just put some sort or cover?
nope let me add a photo so you can see it more clear what I mean.

you will see a pull chain near the bottom of the unit that how it turn it on and off with the spring loaded door when you pull the chain in it will turn the fan off the same time it will close the damper door when you let the chain up it will open up the damper door and the same time it will turn on the fan.

I hope that make it clear for ya.

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
nope let me add a photo so you can see it more clear what I mean.

you will see a pull chain near the bottom of the unit that how it turn it on and off with the spring loaded door when you pull the chain in it will turn the fan off the same time it will close the damper door when you let the chain up it will open up the damper door and the same time it will turn on the fan.

I hope that make it clear for ya.

Merci.
Marc

Hmmm. Kind of... It seems though it should come into the house? I have no opening from inside......
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Hmmm. Kind of... It seems though it should come into the house? I have no opening from inside......
I did look at your photo and all you can do is get the insluating materal and close it up and double check if you have any ductwork there if not then you can able close it up.

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

There used to be a fan like Marc pictured above with a vent hood over it, your neighbor probably still has that setup. It was replaced with a microwave, so the fan was removed. There is no reason to put a fan back there, it was sealed up.

Most likely your microwave is setup to blow the exhaust back into the kitchen, they will have a charcoal filter to remove some of the grease. I would make sure your microwave has this filter, if not, you are simply blowing that grease all over your kitchen.

Your microwave might have the option to exhaust the air outside of the house, most of them with vents do. If you'd like, you can unseal that hole on the side of your house and have the microwave vent it's exhaust out from there, that's is the best option. That will remove the smoke and grease from the kitchen.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
There used to be a fan like Marc pictured above with a vent hood over it, your neighbor probably still has that setup. It was replaced with a microwave, so the fan was removed. There is no reason to put a fan back there, it was sealed up.

Most likely your microwave is setup to blow the exhaust back into the kitchen, they will have a charcoal filter to remove some of the grease. I would make sure your microwave has this filter, if not, you are simply blowing that grease all over your kitchen.

Your microwave might have the option to exhaust the air outside of the house, most of them with vents do. If you'd like, you can unseal that hole on the side of your house and have the microwave vent it's exhaust out from there, that's is the best option. That will remove the smoke and grease from the kitchen.

Thanks proby!

The microwave actually is already setup to vent outside. There is another vent above this hole.(not in the pic). From the inside i see where the microwave has its exhaust the the vent opens and blows air with the microwave fan on...

Looks like I just have to get some sort of cover for this...
Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Thanks proby!

The microwave actually is already setup to vent outside. There is another vent above this hole.(not in the pic). From the inside i see where the microwave has its exhaust the the vent opens and blows air with the microwave fan on...

Looks like I just have to get some sort of cover for this...
Ok, great, that's always the best way. So this hole is useless, make sure to fill it with loosely packed insulation and seal it off good. You can always try to find pieces of your siding and cover the hole completely so no one will ever know it's there.

As for the electrical wire, get a small box and BX connector and put the wire in the box, then use wire nuts on each wire to cap them off.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #10

Thanks!!!

So...As far as sealing it off, what material should be used? Wood? sheetrock? I'm sure i can do it but not sure what material would need to be used...

I'll go to HD tonight and pick up the stuff to cover up the wires, as well as some insulation.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Electrician

You can probably just fill the void with spray foam and screw a piece of plywood over it.

I'm going to let someone else with more experience answer this, tho. I'm not sure if you should put some type of house wrap (Tyvek, etc.) over this or not, etc.

Maybe it's best to ask a moderator to move this thread to the Building and Construction or Carpentry forum for more answers.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
they have some sort of fan, I now notice a cable coming from my house as well so I'm guessing I need a fan...

Can someone tell me what I need and if the install is easy or not?
I need a new one myself
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BRO...057?Pid=search
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement