Vent Fan Motor Rebuild - Parts - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vent fan motor rebuild - parts

Hello,

My house has 4 Emerson fan motors used throughout the house for bathroom and kitchen ventilation. These are high quality motors and I don't want to replace them at $75.00 each. I've oiled them and taken one apart. What I need are the thrust washers used in them but can't find a source. They are fairly thin plastic "washers" and I've tried McMaster for something similar but no luck.

The shaft is 1/4 ( ID) inch and the OD of the washer is is .51.

Can anyone help me source something that will work?

Thank you,

Randy
Randy956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

I am sorry to tell you it is going to be very hard to locate these bushings. They may only be manufactured for the fan motors and most likely will not be available as a part order. How old are these fans? If you call the manufacturer and explain your issue they may replace the fan motors at no charge. I know my range hood fan motor has been replaced twice at no charge to me. How much did the fans cost new? You may want to replace instead of repair. These little motors are not designed to be taken apart.
J. V. is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy956 View Post
Hello,

My house has 4 Emerson fan motors used throughout the house for bathroom and kitchen ventilation. These are high quality motors and I don't want to replace them at $75.00 each. I've oiled them and taken one apart. What I need are the thrust washers used in them but can't find a source. They are fairly thin plastic "washers" and I've tried McMaster for something similar but no luck.

The shaft is 1/4 ( ID) inch and the OD of the washer is is .51.

Can anyone help me source something that will work?

Thank you,

Randy
How about McMaster part #95630A470, which is a .25" ID X .5" OD X .03" thick teflon washer?
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

Years of personal experience say to replace the bad fans. It's not worth the time trying to figure out what part will work and what will not work. Then realize it not going to get fixed anyway. At least not repaired correctly. These fan motors are designed to be trashed. I am surprised you can even disassemble these fan motors. Are they not spot welded on each end bell and have no through bolts? Like I said, if these fans are relatively new the manufacturer may replace one or more for free.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
How about McMaster part #95630A470, which is a .25" ID X .5" OD X .03" thick teflon washer?
Thank you, these may work.
I ordered some from MC yesterday.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I am sorry to tell you it is going to be very hard to locate these bushings. They may only be manufactured for the fan motors and most likely will not be available as a part order. How old are these fans? If you call the manufacturer and explain your issue they may replace the fan motors at no charge. I know my range hood fan motor has been replaced twice at no charge to me. How much did the fans cost new? You may want to replace instead of repair. These little motors are not designed to be taken apart.
The fan motors are probably 40 years old and are really pretty solid. Yeah, I know they're not designed to be repaired, but if I can find a thrust bearing that will work then I can get another few years out of them.
The motors are bolted together and the thrust bearings are worn pretty thin. I know it's best to replace them, but hey, I'm cheap!

Now you're not going to believe this, but I work for the company who makes these things! Actually it's a big company with many divisions and Emerson motors is only one division out of many.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #7

Great. Never heard of a thrust bearing in a exhaust fan before. All I see is sleeve bearings and spacers. I'm cheap too! Thats why I count my time along with cost.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

on this forum I learn stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_bearing
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Why open that link? I know what a thrust bearing is.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Why open that link? I know what a thrust bearing is.
"idea of reference: the incorrect [belief] that [the] words and actions of others refer to oneself . . ."

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-26-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Post #1 referred to the items he is wanting as "thrust washers", then post #2 called them "bushings". They actually are "spacers" which help to center the armature withing the field coil. These particular motors are designed so as to have the armature "float" some within the field coil and are by design somewhat self-centering. My first thought was "why does he want to close up the space between the armature and the bushings, which is exactly what you will do if you add spacers to this area. Most of these motors have end caps which hold the bushings, which in turn are encased in tightly packed cotton. The amount of lubricant applied at the factory is about all that is needed for the life of the bushing. Get the message? I have had limited success with taking all of this apart, soaking the end caps/bushings in light weight oil and putting it all back together again. Maybe another year of life. BUT, I still can't figure out why you would want to close up the pre-set gap between the armature and field coil, there would be no advantage, and maybe one disadvantage- -heat build up within the bushings by not allowing the armature and shaft to float some. My 2 worth, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #12

plastic washer

go to your local plastic supply store . get a few inches of 1/2 uhmw rod cut out your thickens of washers you need and drill a 1/4" hole for your shaft.
rick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement