Upgrading 60a Fuse -> 100a Breaker, Grounding Bx Cable? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Upgrading 60a fuse -> 100a breaker, grounding bx cable?

Hello everyone,

I purchased a home built in 1949 and am starting to do upgrades to it. Iíve decided that it would probably be a good idea to start with the electrical.

I had a home inspection done and the inspector noted that all the rooms were open ground, including the kitchen. The cabling is BX style and the house has a 60amp fuse box service.

I would like to upgrade the service to 100amp and Iím hoping I can do this and ground all the plugs in the house without having to rewire it all

My questions are:

- Is it possible to ground the outlets with the current bx style cable or do I have to rewire the entire house? (All the outlets in the house are 2 prong style plugs except the kitchen which has 3 prong plugs (also this is not grounded)

- Is open ground dangerous? Does that essentially mean that the fuse box is not able to monitor the power and trip the fuse should a surge happen?

Thanks for reading, any info is greatly appreciated.
njoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

With non grounded outlets, you are still protected against overcurrent. What you're not protected against is a ground fault. Say...the frame of your microwave inadvertently touches a hot wire. If that microwave outlet was grounded, the frame would dump that electricity to the panel and trip the breaker. With it not being grounded, you will get shocked when touching the metallic part of the microwave.

The next best thing is to protect your circuit with GFCI. GFCI would trip as soon as you touched the microwave and ~5 mA went through you instead of the white wire. You still could get shocked, but it wouldn't be as dangerous.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secutanudu For This Useful Post:
njoel (03-18-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,078

If the system is installed correctly with correct box connectors, etc., then the armor can be used as the equipment grounding conductor.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
njoel (03-18-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
With non grounded outlets, you are still protected against overcurrent. What you're not protected against is a ground fault. Say...the frame of your microwave inadvertently touches a hot wire. If that microwave outlet was grounded, the frame would dump that electricity to the panel and trip the breaker. With it not being grounded, you will get shocked when touching the metallic part of the microwave.

The next best thing is to protect your circuit with GFCI. GFCI would trip as soon as you touched the microwave and ~5 mA went through you instead of the white wire. You still could get shocked, but it wouldn't be as dangerous.
Ahh ok thank you very much for this helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
If the system is installed correctly with correct box connectors, etc., then the armor can be used as the equipment grounding conductor.
Perfect, hopefully it was done correctly. Thank you for your reply.
njoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement