Upgrade Service And Add 2 Sub-boxes? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Upgrade service and add 2 sub-boxes?

I currently have 100amp service, but want to upgrade to 200 amp. Can I use my current box (relatively new and uses the square D breakers) and swop the main breaker to 200amp (after checking if the incoming line is good enough first)? If I can do that, can I then run two sub boxes from the main box? The one sub box would go out to the shed, and the other would just be to accommodate more breakers for the house.

Possible, legal (I guess that may vary from area to area)?

d.i.y.er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000

A 100a panel is not rated for 200a
You would need a new panel rated for 200a
Use the 100a as a sub

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
d.i.y.er (09-28-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician
frenchelectrican's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000

Normally with 200 amp service I dealt with it I typcially use 40 or 42 space panel majorty of the time { Few case they will ask for 30 space panel but I will not go that route anymore due the cost diffrence is not really huge nowdays }

with new 200 amp service you will need new meter socket that rated for 200 amp , service riser and related parts depending on the POCO requirement.

For the meter socket most will appect the most common run of mill socket however check with your POCO for latest info for meter socket type due some POCO may required a manual bypass type or other requirement and check with them to see if the exsting meter socket location still meet their requirement if not.,,

You will have to plan to move it to diffrent location and from there there are few ways it can be done to meet the codes.

If they say stay the same place then it is not a issue but make sure all the conductors for service entrance is rated properly.

And yeah you will have to get wiring permit for this due most POCO will not rehook up until it passed with the inspectors so before you do anything run by the inspector dept to make sure then deal with POCO next and it should be pretty good run after that.

Now with exsting 100 amp panel how many space you have in there Due I know most useally have either 16 or 20 space verison { few may snag in a 30 space verison } you can use them as subpanel to order to use them as subpanel you have to take the bonding screw out and buy a ground bussbar for it.

The ground bussbar useally run about 8 to 12 Euros depending on where you get it.

Keep in your mind when you run the subpanel in shed you will need four conductors not three conductor this is very specfic in the NEC code.

and yeah of course ground rods.

Also before I get out of the hand with details again check with your inspector office for the latest info what it required for service change or uprating { that what most electricians called } like add AFCI , GFCI, etc etc so check with them before you get ahead with the plans.

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts