Unplugging Device Interrupts Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Unplugging device interrupts circuit

Hello everyone! When I unplug a device from one outlet on a given circuit, everything else plugged into that circuit (TV, cable receiver, a couple other small electronic devices) resets as the power is momentarily cut off. This behaviour only started in the last week and nothing has been added to this circuit in over a year (in fact I removed some devices as I thought perhaps the load was too high). I know absolutely nothing about electrical matters, but was hoping somebody might be able to provide at least an idea of what might be happening here before I call an electrician. I'm just somewhat concerned from a safety perspective - in the interim, I will not be using the outlet in question. Thanks and I apologise if there is an obvious answer or if this type of question is not appropriate to ask in this forum.
a_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,016

Loose wire in the one outlet, other outlets are wired after it and being affected?

Turn of the circuit breaker that powers the outlet (or just drop the main breaker). After ensuring no power from the outlet, remove the cover, then pull out the outlet - check for loose wires.

If back-stabbed (wires go into holes in the back of the outlet rather than being attached to the screws), that can be a problem - move the wires to the screws.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement