Ungrounded Subpanel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

ungrounded subpanel

hi everyone,

i have an ungrounded subpanel in my crawlspace that seems to operate the crawlspace lights and two outlets down there. I had a friend help me run some new electrical for my kitchen remodel. I don't know what he was doing or looking for in that panel, but he said as soon as he stuck his screw driver in - poof! it blew the 2 screw in fuses that were in there. we replaced the fuses - all the lights seem to work, but one outlet does not work anymore. might the outlet have been fried and now need replacing?
jbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

Man, don't let your friend help you anymore. It sounds as if he doesn't have any idea of what he is doing and is a danger to boot.

Is the receptacle a GFCI? Do you have any electrical testing tools (multimeter or even a tick tracer)? Can you trace the wiring through the crawl space to see where it goes?

There are trouble shooting steps you can go through. Let us know what your skill level is.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitt View Post
hi everyone,

i have an ungrounded subpanel in my crawlspace that seems to operate the crawlspace lights and two outlets down there. I had a friend help me run some new electrical for my kitchen remodel. I don't know what he was doing or looking for in that panel, but he said as soon as he stuck his screw driver in - poof! it blew the 2 screw in fuses that were in there. we replaced the fuses - all the lights seem to work, but one outlet does not work anymore. might the outlet have been fried and now need replacing?
Sounds to me like the panel has a very good ground. If it didn't, your friend might have gone poof.
Does this sub panel have a main disconnect? If not, the main panel that it is connect to will have, or better have, a disconnect. Learn were it is and stay out of the panel unless the power is disconnected. Crawl spaces make a good body ground because you are on your hands and knees.
You say there are two screw in fuses so my guess is one circuit is still dead. With power off to the sub, check around for marks were the screwdriver shorted out. Something most likely got fried. Pull the fuse and check the base too.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Crawl spaces make a good body ground because you are on your hands and knees.
they also generally make for illegal places to put a panel for exactly the same reason.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement