Under Cabinet Lighting? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 648

Under cabinet lighting?

I'm trying to determine the best type of under cabinet lights to put in my kitchen. In the past, I've used hockey puck style halogen lights, which were way too hot and very expensive to run.

For my new home I'm looking for something that gives off a warm light, is dim able, is energy efficient, and relatively easy to install. My cabinetmaker has recently begun using LED lights and really likes them, but I have no experience with LEDs. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,016

Agreed halogen pucks get way hot. Fluorescents have been common to do, but the LED's have come down in price and up in light output. I would go LED.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #3

Do you have any recommendations for a particular brand or retailer? Are LEDs dimable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here is one source for dimmable LED halogen replacement bulbs that might work for you? I think the problem you are going to find with LEDs is that "bulbs" still have to be fairly large to hold enough of an LED array to provide any light. However, I have seen florescent tube type LED arrays that look promising. They might be low profile enough for under counter use if they come in small tubes?

I am by no means up on what is out there at the moment so definitely explore online. I would visit your local lighting store (or even a kitchen design place) to see what options they may have for you. A box store will just have crap and just a minimum wage, part-time employee, with no knowledge to stare blankly at you when you ask questions.

http://www.ledbulb.com/LED-MR16-Bulbs-s/5.htm

Last edited by user1007; 02-03-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #5

My cabinetmaker recommended this place: http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Has anyone used these guys before? If so, which item did you buy?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post

I have used them quite a bit for LED array replacements for bulbs. No problems. Are they going to have anything low profile and bright enough for you in under cabinet LEDs? Some of their undercabinet options do look promising but I wonder if bright enough for task lighting if that is what you are after?

I haven't used them in awhile because my local lighting store has started carrying more LED stuff. You really should check to see what yours might have.

Last edited by user1007; 02-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

Here's the email I received from them when I asked:

Hello,

You can investigate the General Purpose category here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...isp=%2Ffit.htm

Also some people use the flexible light strip for under cabinet lighting:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs%2FFLS.htm

The flexible light strip is available in a "natural white".
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #8

Unfortunately, the LED stuff is all new to me and I've seen a whole lot of LED lighting that is either too blueish looking or not bright enough, which is why I'm apprehensive.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Unfortunately, the LED stuff is all new to me and I've seen a whole lot of LED lighting that is either too blueish looking or not bright enough, which is why I'm apprehensive.
The arrays are getting better, more natural in color, and brighter but whether they are where you need them yet for your application I do not know. Another reason to visit a real lighting store to take a look. I did try some of the halogen replacements in gallery fixtures and the color was alright but they just were not yet bright enough for our needs.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #10

What about Xenon undercabinet lights?

Companies like Kichler and Seagull have tired to make a confusing project fairly straightforward with linear Xenon lighting. With LEDs, it seems like there are a lot of electronic hobbyist websites where LEDs are being sold for just about any use, including undercabinet lighting, or the brand name companies are charging outrageous prices for this technology.

Personally, I'd prefer to go with a brand name for warranty and support purposes. What do you think?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

I have used them, and been very satisfied. I use their lamps (and transformers) in all my landscape fixtures.

They specify "color" in many of their LED bulbs. Look for something around 3000K for that incadescent (warm white) look, or near 4000K for something approaching halogen. Much higher than that, you get that stark white (even blueish, as some call it).
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
I am new here but my .02 on LED's is this. The white's come in a wide range of temp (blueish white to a yellowish white) 12 volts to 24 and the difference there is how many you can get in a single run. For uner cabinet you could do a rigid PC board strip or a tape. Yes they are dimmable. Dimming is going to depend on what driver you have
Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 85

I am waiting on LED's from Ebay right now for my undercabinet lights. They are rated at 60 lumens and they didn't cost too much. I can run them for a very long time, I believe the life is 50000 hours, and they will not get hot enough to hurt anyone like my current bulbs do now. When I get them in i can post pics and let you know what I think.
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement