UGH! Moister In The Electric Box -- Odd Things Lots Of Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

UGH! Moister in the electric box -- odd things lots of questions

The only circuit that has ever tripped on us is the one we can overload. Rewiring the house will fix that...(which might happen sooner than I want).

We turned off our power. Cracked open our circuit box. Picture of my a/c circuit is attached. It was right beside the range circuit and it is in bad shape heavenly corroded. The prongs these were attached to were corroded and rusted. There was moisture in the box but only on these two circuits and the one right below it.

Called an electrician, I know when the job is to big, he asked about moister/water in the box and over hanging wires. We looked, there was no moister any place in the box. Since it was raining and I had a moment of stupidity I felt the wire into the house. It was DRY. It was only in that spot on the circuit breaker panel. Could the moister be coming from the basement itself? It can be damp. I was wondering since these things had to be hot if it caused condensation to occur and that is why the water damage is only there.

The next set of question is why did none of these circuits trip? There was a 40 amp besides and 60amp. The 40 amp has melt damage but it was not tripped. I feel lucky that I hadn't turned on my a/c for the year.

There is enough corrosion (along with obsolete replacement circuits) to the prong that a new entry will need to be installed. What should I expect? I don't want to get hosed over. I do have electrical backgrounds but that is in control towers not home wiring. So I have enough information to be dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
UGH! Moister in the electric box -- odd things lots of questions-photo-0012-1-.jpg  
ReginaBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What Mfg panel do you have ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It is a Sylvaina
ReginaBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,910

I suppose the corrosion might have prevented the breaker from tripping. If you're concerned about the electrician's bill all you can do is have a couple electricians look at it and give you a quote. But make sure the electrician is competent as that is far more important than the bill. A poor electrician with a low quote will end up costing you a lot more than a good electrician with a higher quote. Make sure the source of the moisture is identified and corrected or it will happen again.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

That looks like a stab lok in full action. :P

Did you check the main conduit that comes from outside if there's any way water can get into it? I would suspect that,and it just happened to hit those breakers. Though it could be what you say where water condensed on it if they were hot.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
That looks like a stab lok in full action. :P

Did you check the main conduit that comes from outside if there's any way water can get into it? I would suspect that,and it just happened to hit those breakers. Though it could be what you say where water condensed on it if they were hot.
To me it looks (and, not surprisingly) acts like a stab-lok. The entire panel should be replaced, and the source of the moisture checked out.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

With that much damage to the breaker It will be wise to justify the cost to get new load centre due you mention Sylvaina breakers that is pretty old style breaker it will be simauir to either challanger or zinsco breakers.

The best answer is get new load centre and have a electrician to check out the riser or any entrance points and see if the water did get into some reason.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #8

I've seen the feed, panel & breakers all replaced, paid for by Insurance company

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement