Type B, NEMA 515 Wall Outlet Orientation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Type B, NEMA 515 wall outlet orientation

Are their any code restrictions on the orientation (up, down, sideways) for installing Type B, NEMA 5–15 Electrical Wall Outlets?
dicklawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 910

If you mean a regular plug there is no code rule saying which way to install them.

There has been way to much discussion on here if ground up or ground down is more right. There is benefits to haveing the ground up(if the plug is loose and something metal falls it will hit the ground and not the hot and neutral). Myself and most people like the looks of haveing the ground down.

So you do what you think looks good and you will be fine.
darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Yes, 5-15's are "regular plugs"

The house I'm working on right now... either "the last guy" had a sense of humor or there were two such people who argued over ground-up vs ground-down and settled it... they alternate, as you go around the room - up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down.

Thought it was just coincidence and they were random until I realized the entire house is done this way, and perfectly alternating.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Really in the NEC code for the grounding slot of the receptale is not mention at all and I know this type of topic been come up from time to time and really there is no specfic requirement unless it was requested by the specs in the drawing or owner requirment.

In resdentail area for nonswitched useally the grounding slot is down while switched recetpales I useally keep the grounding slot up so that way you know it is switched recetpale.

In France it pretty much up in majorty of places { even thru it did NOT mention in French electrical code }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by emolatur View Post
The house I'm working on right now... either "the last guy" had a sense of humor or there were two such people who argued over ground-up vs ground-down and settled it... they alternate, as you go around the room - up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down.

Thought it was just coincidence and they were random until I realized the entire house is done this way, and perfectly alternating.
Or maybe he didn't know which way was correct so he changed every other one, so if the inspector said something he would only have had to change half his plugs.
darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement