Two Single Pole Switches Connected - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Two Single Pole Switches Connected

I am replacing some old switches in my house and came across a setup that seemed a little strange. It's a two gang box with two single pole switches (picture is attached). The left one controls a fan/light combination. The right one does not seem to do anything. I am a little confused about the wiring since the right switch does not have any outgoing wire and instead has two incoming wires, one of which is connected to the other switch. What is going on here? My guess is that the wiring was done in a way that avoids having to pigtail, but I am not sure. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Two Single Pole Switches Connected-img_20141025_143927.jpg  
snahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 90

Power comes into the box and connects to 1 switch, bridged to the second switch and then leaves to box to another location.

The switch on the right has nothing connected to the other pole, hence it does nothing.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 528
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

The switch on the right probably controlled a switched outlet in the room. Someone likely didn't want the outlet controlled by the switch and moved the wire from the top push-in to the bottom, effectively bypassing the switch function. If you disconnect the wire at the push-in/back-stab you can see what does and doesn't work. It probably controls half of an outlet near the switches, or half of all the outlets in the room.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

Thank you. I checked and the wire coming out of the right switch does indeed control some outlets. I would like to keep it that way (i.e. have the outlets always on), but also completely remove the right switch and replace it with a blank. I was thinking of doing the following: Remove the right switch completely. Then remove the two bottom wires from the left switch. Pigtail the wire that was coming into the bottom of left switch with the wire that was leaving the bottom of the right switch and connect it to the bottom of the left switch. Is that a correct/safe way of doing it?
snahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,504

Two remove the right switch simply remove the two black wires and nut them together.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 528
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by snahdog View Post
Remove the right switch completely. Then remove the two bottom wires from the left switch. Pigtail the wire that was coming into the bottom of left switch with the wire that was leaving the bottom of the right switch and connect it to the bottom of the left switch.
This is the preferred way to accomplish what you are looking to do. They do make the blank switch inserts so you can keep the double gang face plate in the event you ever want to put the second switch back in.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
light switch , single pole , wiring