Are Twist Connectors Safe To Use For Light Fixture Wiring? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree33Likes

Old 04-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Are twist connectors safe to use for light fixture wiring?

The electrician I highered said the easiest way to move these switches to another wall was to run them down this column and up the new wall. But the wires were short so he extended them using twist connectors and electrical tape. I will cover them with a think piece of sheet metal to no one can drill a hole on these wires and get shocked but is this safe? Would it be worth redoing everything buy opening up the floors upstairs and using a junction box? (will cost a good bit more obviously)

Last edited by parmesan; 04-24-2019 at 12:35 PM.
parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 238

Re: Are twist connectors safe to use for light fixture wiring?

Oh my...so against code its worth firing who did that.

To do that to code you would have to have all those junctions in a box that is accessible after it is finished.
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,326

Iím having great difficulty believing the guy you hired is any type of electrician.

Thatís about as hack as work ever gets.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,590

Absolutely unacceptable. There is no way a competent electrician would do that. Fire the guy. Also consider demanding a refund or refusing to pay and reporting to your local contracting authority. This is incompetent, illegal hack work that wouldn't pass inspection anywhere in the USA and would be embarrassing to show another tradesman. Nobody should be allowed to do that in someone else's house and charge for it.

There is a code compliant solution to this problem: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...-000/202204326 These NM cable splice kits are UL listed for use inside an enclosed wall. There are a few competing products like it, but they all work the same way and look similar. No other splicing method is acceptable without being placed in an accessible junction box (i.e. not buried in a wall). All those wire-nut splices with electrical tape need to be removed and replaced with these types of UL listed buried splice kits. By someone other than the moron who screwed it up in the first place.
tinedog (05-01-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 570

Your "electrician" was correct in that wire nuts and tape is the easiest way to extend wires. It is also against electrical code in the US and also Canada.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Your "electrician" was correct in that wire nuts and tape is the easiest way to extend wires. It is also against electrical code in the US and also Canada.
Except... it would have been easier not to have bothered with wirenuts....
ktownskier likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,572

you definitely didn't hire an 'electrician'....
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 140

That looks terrible. It is also unbelievably irresponsible and it jeopardizes yours and everyone's life who lives there now or will after.

He is no electrician. His actions are also unconscionable.
friesbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,544

Oh my goodness. Please, do your duty and report that guy so that he never does any electrical work again. Call your local permitting office and ask them what to do.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmesan View Post
The electrician I highered said...
Where did you find this bum?
Nealtw likes this.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,076

Totally agree it's a code violation and unprofessional to the extreme.

But, without condoning or encouraging this kind of thing, if the joints are staggered, well connected with wire nuts, secured and protected by good-quality tape, and protected from being pulled or punctured, what's the failure mode?

Don't beat me up; it's just a thought experiment. Could it fail in such a way as to be any more dangerous than the code-approved alternative? I'm drawing a blank.

However, if those are metal staples holding the wires, with no protection from cutting into the insulation, I can see a potential issue there if the wires get some tension somehow.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
There is a code compliant solution to this problem: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...-000/202204326 These NM cable splice kits are UL listed for use inside an enclosed wall.
Here is the item that @mpoulton speaks of:

Here's my nickles worth. I can't say anything else about the work done by the idiot you hired or the work they did that hasn't been said before. Well I could, but this is an open forum.

As to how to resolve it.

First, call your appropriate housing authority (Usually the people who gave you your permit. You did pull a permit didn't you?) to report the electrician and to have an inspector come out. If you didn't have a permit, ask if they have their building codes published on-line, including electrical codes.

I am sure that most, if not all, of us would tell you to get a permit pulled for the work being done. If there were a fire in the house at any future time, and it was determined that the wiring that you had hired to do was the cause. Then the contractor would be responsible for cost of the repairs. If you can find him, if not then you. However, if it has passed inspection, then the liability passes of to the inspector and the local housing authority.

I see that you are doing a lot of remodeling work, where is the cable coming from, above or below? Is it possible to put a large junction box there to make the correct connections and then run new cable to the new locations? You could use the cable that the "moron" used. If it is too short, then you can use another junction box to extend the cable. (As long as it is not hidden of course.

If you decide to use the item that @mpoulton pointed out, check the electrical code that your AHJ uses (you asked about it earlier or that you searched for) and check to see if they have made any changes regarding NEC Code - article 334-40b, 2005 and 2008 NEC. As long as they don't say anything about it, then you are okay to use it. Even if your local inspector may not like it. Although they are the final say about it.

The TYCO unit is only a splice, not a splitter. It is hard to see, but it looks like there may be some cable splitting in that mess. Use the TYCO splice and then run the cable to a point where you can use a junction box to make a safe cable split. I like to add an outlet because you always use more outlets.

Sorry for the long post. There is just so much wrong with this situation that I felt the need to include as much information as possible.

Dan
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Even in an accessible panel?
huesmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 58

The way I handle this situation is to add a plug that the original wires will reach, then run new wires from it. Ideally if the old wires come from below so the plug can be at normal height. You can splice wires in the new box without necessarily connecting to a plug.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredindallas View Post
The way I handle this situation is to add a plug that the original wires will reach, then run new wires from it. Ideally if the old wires come from below so the plug can be at normal height. You can splice wires in the new box without necessarily connecting to a plug.
Surely you mean a receptacle

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
jbfan, J. V., mpoulton and 1 others like this.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement