Turn One Circuit On And A Different Circuit Blown - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

turn one circuit on and a different circuit blown

I have a question for anybody who knows electric. My house was built in 2013 with a 1st and 2nd story and a unfinished basement. This year we are working on our basement. The electriction wiring our basement and has it passed. Forward a few months and when we turn the basement bedroom ceiling light on, the 1st floor living room circuit blown a fuse. They are on two different circuit. The 1st floor living room is on a AFCI. Also, both circuit are side to side in the fuse box if that make any since. What gives? Any helpful advice would be appreciated!
medic39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic39 View Post
I have a question for anybody who knows electric. My house was built in 2013 with a 1st and 2nd story and a unfinished basement. This year we are working on our basement. The electriction wiring our basement and has it passed. Forward a few months and when we turn the basement bedroom ceiling light on, the 1st floor living room circuit blown a fuse. They are on two different circuit. The 1st floor living room is on a AFCI. Also, both circuit are side to side in the fuse box if that make any since. What gives? Any helpful advice would be appreciated!
Probably the best thing is to call that electrician back to trouble shoot the problem. My 1st guess is he is sharing the neutrals of both circuits at some point. There are a few things you could try but will involve removing the cover from your panel and having knowledge on using test equipment if needed.
If you have been driving nails or if electrician stapled the basement light wiring to the wiring going to the living room at some point he could have a staple penetrating both cables or you may have driven a nail thru them contacting both neutrals.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-27-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
clw1963 (12-27-2014), medic39 (12-27-2014), PaliBob (12-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,832

Quote:
You say you have fuses yet bring up AFCI breakers?

If by fuses you mean circuit breakers it sounds like either a crossed circuit or a defective AFCI. Id call the electrician back and explain the issue.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jump-start For This Useful Post:
medic39 (12-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Thank you so much. For what I read, I'm thinking it might be a defective AFCI. Although a staple or a screw puncture both lines will do it, all of the living room goes on top from the breaker box and all of the basement bedroom circuit goes from the bottom from the breaker box. Either way, I'm going to call the electrician. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you so much. For what I read, I'm thinking it might be a defective AFCI. Although a staple or a screw puncture both lines will do it, all of the living room goes on top from the breaker box and all of the basement bedroom circuit goes from the bottom from the breaker box. Either way, I'm going to call the electrician. Thanks!
AFCIs are tricky beasts. There is a lot that makes them unhappy, and of course you do have different generations some of which are notorious for nuisance tripping.

Basically when the electrician is over I would recommend asking him to "megger" both circuits. A mega ohm meter test would determine if any circuits are crossed, shorted or have a standing fault on them. Once completed such a test can greatly narrow down any issues determining if the issue is a wiring error, plugged in appliance or the AFCI itself.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #7

Welcome
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

It could be something as simple as a ground wire touching a neutral terminal screw somewhere.

With no load, this isn't a problem, but when a load is applied, the AFCI will see it as current leaking to ground and it'll trip.

As noted, a megger will pick this up right away.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
Jump-start (12-27-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,396

Quote:
The electriction wiring our basement and has it passed.
How is he/she going to come back?

Isn't he/she dead?
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,140

From your OP it sounds like the living room circuit works fine except for when you turn on the basement bedroom light, is that correct? Does the actual breaker trip or does it get a AFCI fault? Other than tripping the living room circuit when you turn the basement bedroom light on does everything else downstairs were correctly? The more information you can provide the more likely users here are going to be able to help you solve your problem.
Advertisement