Trace Sw4024 Inverter Compatible With AFCI's??? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trace sw4024 inverter compatible with AFCI's???

Our off grid home was recently rewired with MC cable. To meet current and soon to be current code requirements the electrician installed many AFCI breakers. The problem began on one circuit, tripping the AFCI when the light was switched on. When the breaker was replaced with a normal one the circuit worked but the tripping began on another circuit. I again replaced that AFCI with a normal one and the tripping began on another AFCI circuit. I am now wondering if the sw4024 inverter is compatible with AFCI breakers at all.
Any insight would be most appreciated.
Kent C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 308

Contact both manufacturers and get their feedback. This off grid stuff is new and I personally know little about it. I applaud your effort to reduce and even eliminate your carbon footprint.
I am certain if you get the manufacturer for the AFCI and the inverter involved, the problem can be identified.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent C View Post
The problem began on one circuit, tripping the AFCI when the light was switched on. When the breaker was replaced with a normal one the circuit worked
but the tripping began on another circuit.
I again replaced that AFCI with a normal one and the tripping began on another AFCI circuit.
I am now wondering if the sw4024 inverter is compatible with AFCI breakers at all.
I guess the first AFCI was the most sensitive, and you are going down the list to the least sensitive, but you also seem to have the problem being transferred to other circuits.

If the AFCIs were all made by different manufs it is likely you have a problem with leakage current or arcing. You could also have a bad install.

You know the 4024 puts out a sine wave. The question is, "What does the input current waveform look like?"
and "What frequency does its internal clock run on?"

About the problem transfer issue: neutral and ground are tied together at the panel to provide a Single Point 'Ground'. IMO, as higher and higher frequencies ride on the Romex its inductance causes this 'ground' to appear less and less like a single point, so then all appliances start 'talking to each other.'

Get all manuf's responses in writing.
If you e-mail them and they then call you on the phone with their reply I'd tell them that replies by phone are useless to you.
This may be like pulling teeth.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-28-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check with the AFCI breaker manufacter to see if they can work with inverter sine waveformat due I did look a quick specs { I have to translated from French to Engish } and the sinewave cycle from 34 to 52 step per cycle so I have a feeling that the numbers of steps may cause the AFCI to malfuction due the electronic can not able read the inverter mode { somecase the peak voltage on inveter is higher than a true uility sine wave format }

That specs is from the Inverter model you gave to us to look it up.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement