Too Many Wires In The Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Too Many Wires In the Box

I am updating a kitchen and removed the old one piece formica backsplash planning to tile. Where I had a double box showing, one switch plus dual GFCI outlet, I find it is actually three ganged boxes (2x3). One was completely hidden by the formica.

I would like to move the switch a foot to the left. That is the easy part. I have no problem opening up the sheetrock and unganging the box and moving it over. The imprefections will be taken care of with the tiles.

But the other two boxes are the problem: Where the GFCI is there is a wire count of 4+2+1, 7. In the third box, the one that was hidden by the old formica splash, the wires coming from the bottom are connected to the wires coming from the ceiling, for a count of 4+1, 5. No ground showing, it is BX.

Together, the count would be 12. I know I can't get this all in one 2x3 even 3 1/2 deep by code (outside 2x4 wall in NJ. I also know I can't hide the joins in the wall or cover the box by tile (guess that is the same thing).

I would most prefer the lone GFCI, but I dont believe I can hide the joins in a box behind the wall nor can I cover one of the boxes with tile.

Any thoughts?

I fear the only real option is to leave it as a double, tile around, and put on a double faceplate. I certainly do not have enough slack in the wires to do this work anywhere else and with top joining bottom rewiring would be a major effort.

If that is my only real choice, is a switch not connected to anything behind it legal? How about an outlet (if it was to be a real one would I have to figure out what is also on the circuit)? Any other options?

Jeff
xd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,654

You could install a deep 4" square or 4 11/16 box and add a single gang plaster ring.
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Too Many Wires in the box

Thanks Jim.

Just to make sure, does national code allow me to then tile over the portion of the box that I don't want showing -- leaving just the center portion showing with the outlet in it and the faceplate in front?
xd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd11 View Post
Thanks Jim.

Just to make sure, does national code allow me to then tile over the portion of the box that I don't want showing -- leaving just the center portion showing with the outlet in it and the faceplate in front?
No. You could add another receptacle along with the gfci.
Another option is to use a 2 gang cover with a gfci and a blank.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical box , excess , hidden , unused switch