Thermostat In Bathroom - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 63

Thermostat In Bathroom

This may be a kind of a strange question. I'm installing a 500 Watt Electric Baseboard Heater (240 Volt) in a small bathroom and I would prefer to install a wall mounted thermostat. The problem is that there isn't very many places to put it. I'm thinking about mounting it in a wall at one end of the countertop that the washbasin is in. There is already an exhaust fan mounted in this wall and there is a switch for the fan, along with a receptacle that has a nightlight plugged in to it, also mounted in this wall. The wall at the other end of the countertop has a receptacle for an electric razor in it. If I don't mount it in the wall by the fan, the only other place would seem to be in the hallway wall, just outside the bathroom door, about six inches from the bathroom door.

I'm wondering if there would be any regulations or other issues with either of these locations?
Koldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,704

Both locations sound fine according to code.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

How are you planning on using this heater? Is it for auxiliary heat?

I'm just asking because I have an electric baseboard heater in my bathroom. I use it for auxiliary heat when showering in the winter. It is on a non-programmable thermostat I crank up when I need it. However, I wish it had a timer instead so I wouldn't worry about forgetting to turn it back down.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,306

You could install one of these in the heater and then run light gauge thermostat wire to a 24VAC thermostat if that is easier than fishing 12-14AWG in the walls to a line thermostat.

http://www.aubetech.com/products/pro...2&noProduit=42
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,536

The problem I see with not mounting the stat directly in the B room is that it will not be able to read the B room temperature while the door is closed, and if the door is closed for what ever reason hours on end.....

I would reconsider a baseboard mounted thermostat before I would consider what you're about to do.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 63

Hey, thanks everybody

Yeah, I'll probably forget to turn it back down again too. LOL

It's probably just as easy for me to run the 12/2 as it would be to run the 24 Volt wire. I have pulled all of the necessary panels now so, it's just a matter of drilling the studs and running the cables. I may still be able to get in to the wall where the switch is for the bathroom light. I don't want to destroy the panel and I think they glued it. Most of the others were nailed. I've been very careful not to damage any of the other panels as I plan on reusing them. They're all still in perfect shape but, I don't have any spares. That would be my first choice of locations for the stat though, because it would be just inside the bathroom. My second choice is on the wall by the exhaust fan. This location would be much easier because it is open from behind.
Koldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Banned Electrician

Rewards Points: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldhammer View Post
This may be a kind of a strange question. I'm installing a 500 Watt Electric Baseboard Heater (240 Volt) in a small bathroom and I would prefer to install a wall mounted thermostat. The problem is that there isn't very many places to put it. I'm thinking about mounting it in a wall at one end of the countertop that the washbasin is in. There is already an exhaust fan mounted in this wall and there is a switch for the fan, along with a receptacle that has a nightlight plugged in to it, also mounted in this wall. The wall at the other end of the countertop has a receptacle for an electric razor in it. If I don't mount it in the wall by the fan, the only other place would seem to be in the hallway wall, just outside the bathroom door, about six inches from the bathroom door.

I'm wondering if there would be any regulations or other issues with either of these locations?
The location is fine
Advertisement