Temperature Controller - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Temperature Controller

Good Day,
I'm looking to create a temperature control device as shown below. I saw this design on Ebay and have gathered the following material: 12V power supply, 70 CFM fan, Presto griddle probe and 8A toggle switch. One thing I do not have is a potentiometer – is this needed? Not sure how to wire this in the design? Original design notes that it gives the fan flexibility to match various power sources? I do IT for a living so wiring is not an issue for a geek like me. Circuitry diagrams/design are not my forte though and need help with this little project of mine.
Notes:
· The griddle temperature probe has 2 black (hot) wires going to what looks like to be a circuit. When the dial goes up in temperature the connector of the circuit tightens and loosens when the temperature goes down. When you go down in temperature the connector releases and eventually ceases to touch (OFF) breaking the circuit. Also has a green for a ground
· Fan I have has 3 wires : Red, White and Black
· PS is from an old speaker cable and is white and black
Goal:
The ultimate goal is to have the probe set to a particular temperature on the dial and if it drops– the fan will kick off and bring it back up again. When tested successfully– I will enclose in a weatherproof box and fasten it to my smoker.
Thanks and any additional information that is needed please feel free to PM me or ask. Your assistance is appreciated!
Pics are of the actual design shown on Ebay and the other is of the inside of the probe.
Attached Thumbnails
Temperature Controller-pid.jpg   Temperature Controller-pid2.jpg  
booboohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,295

I don't know about the question you're asking. But in the brewing world, a lot of guys use the STC1000 for such applications.

They are less than $20 on Amazon.

good luck with your project
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

This would go easier if you told us what exactly you are trying to do with this temperature control device...
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 26

What I am trying to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBob View Post
This would go easier if you told us what exactly you are trying to do with this temperature control device...
Sorry if I was not clear in my post. I am trying to set up a temperature controller via automation as shown in the first picture. I am going to use the probe to measure the temp in my smoker and when it drops to say 190 - the fan will go on. Once the desired temp is reached (say 225F) the fan stops.

@Nick yes but I have seen the design and want to build this one seeing I have the parts.

Last edited by booboohead; 09-09-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: missed some info
booboohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboohead View Post
Sorry if I was not clear in my post. I am trying to set up a temperature controller via automation as shown in the first picture. I am going to use the probe to measure the temp in my smoker and when it drops to say 190 - the fan will go on. Once the desired temp is reached (say 225F) the fan stops.

@Nick yes but I have seen the design and want to build this one seeing I have the parts.

May I ask why you don't just use a standard PID temperature controller? You can buy them for about $30 on ebay and they work perfectly.. in fact, they have fuzzy logic that allows them to learn your application characteristics so to avoid undershoot and overshoot.

You can also set the hysteresis (bandwidth) on them.. And, you get a digital readout of both your set temp and the actual temp..

Much better than what it seams you're trying to set up.. or am I missing something??

I am saying this to you because of my own experience.. I'm an avid bow hunter and turn my entire deer into jerky.. I built my own dehydrator system (size of home frig that can do 50+ lbs at a time) that is powered by the discharge of my wood stove.. but when the stove gets too hot, a fan kicks in to add fresh air so to avoid cooking the meat past 155 degF.
What you are doing seems to be identical to what I did.. Only I used a PID controller to make it all simple..
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,306

This might not work well. The griddle probe is expecting contact with metal thermal mass to transfer heat. You are planning open air to probe. By doing so the thermal mass of the probe may be too high that temperature will overshoot quite a bit before thermostat is satisfied. Typically open air thermostats have very low thermal mass so they can track temp quickly. Give it a go but if you need absolute control with no overshoot on temp this may not be ideal.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement