Switchboard 15 Amp - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

switchboard 15 amp

I wish to buy an electric oven but before I do so I wish to know if the house has a 15 amp plug in the kitchen or if it is hard wired. Is there anyway that I can tell by looking at the switchboard?
(At the moment I have a gas stove that the plumber has disconnected as it was illegal the way it was fitted- I know nothing of the history except that this has been a late edition -long story- won't go there.) Kath
kpkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

An electric stove usually requires a 40-50a 240v circuit
Where are you located ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkj View Post
I wish to buy an electric oven but before I do so I wish to know if the house has a 15 amp plug in the kitchen or if it is hard wired. Is there anyway that I can tell by looking at the switchboard?
(At the moment I have a gas stove that the plumber has disconnected as it was illegal the way it was fitted- I know nothing of the history except that this has been a late edition -long story- won't go there.) Kath
Do you mean a 50 amp plug to plug an electric range into?
Are you buying just an oven or a combination range and oven? It sounds like you have been provide with the electrical requirement but your reference to a 15 amp plug does not make sense.
If you do mean 50 amp, then you could check your circuit breaker panel and see if there is a breaker with 50 printed on the tip of the lever. There would actually be two next to each other with a bar tying them together.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,036

Easiest way to look where the stove needs to be installed and see if there is areceptalce for it. Only gas stove require a 15 amp receptacle. Could you have misunderstoof and they want fifty amp not a fifteen amp.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Are you installing a free standing electric stove and oven combo or an in the wall electric oven. If you are goning to install a free standing combo stove oven I would run 6/3 with ground to a 50 amp breaker. This will connect to a 50 amp oulet. When you buy the stove you will have to buy the cord as well. Make sure you get the 4 wire cord with a separate ground. Old code allowed a shared neutral which is no longer allowed but the old cords are still sold. Some stoves only require 40 amp but I would go with 50 anyway so you can change in thr future. If you are installing an in the wall oven that is usually hard wired. Check the namplate or instructions for power requirements and size the wire accordingly.
SleepyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement