Switch Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

switch wiring

Hi, In my kitchen i have 2 lights controlled by 1 switch. I want to add a 2nd switch in the same box to operate the lights separately. What info do you need to help me? Thanks Ed
forsale69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You probably just need to run 1 new wire from the switch electrical box to one of the lights you want to control and do a little rewiring at the fixtures.

Is there attic access to the two lights?

Can you run an additional wire down the wall to the switch electrical box?

(To the gurus and diagram drawers here... Basically run wire from new switch to one fixture, then rewire existing wire to that light to not be switched by the other switch and switched by the new switch is what I am thinking...)
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Yes there is attic access and everything is in conduit so i can get from the switch to the fixture without to much trouble. Just want to wire it correctly. I work best with pictures if you or someone could draw me a picture. Thanks

http://www.electrical-online.com/ima...eceptacles.gif

This link shows what i think i have.

Last edited by forsale69; 01-05-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,800

Can you get another wire (not green) from the switch through the conduit to light box #1 (on the left in your diagram)?

Remove just the red wire from the wire nut in light box #1 and connect it to the new wire you just strung.

Down in the switch box connect the new wire to switch #2. Take the white* wire off of the existing switch and wire nut two short lengths of wire to it. Now you can connect the other terminal of both switches.

* For individually strung wires in conduit, neither of just two wires entering a switch box may be white. You might take the opportunity now to replace the white wire with a colored wire (not green).

Sometimes it is easy to get a new wire down a conduit by attaching a string to one of the existing wires and pulling that wire out the other end. Then attach the new wire and pull both wires back through using the string.

For those eavesdropping, if you run a conduit or a cable directly from the switch box to light box #2 as a switch loop, two conductors are needed (switched hot and its own hot feed) and they are connected to switch #2 without pigtailing to switch #1. In other words do not make a switch loop as a triangle with hot feed (white in the diagram as linked) from box #1 and switched hot directly to box #2.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-06-2010 at 09:19 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #5

You would disconnect the red wire at the second light and cap it in the box, then run a new black wire from that light to the new switch.
Attached Images

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #6

Or run new red from switch to first light, disconnect red from blacks and connect reds togeather. Which ever runs is easiest
Attached Thumbnails
switch wiring-power-20in-20to-20lights-20one-20switch-20leg-20for-202-20lights-20power-20on-20to-20receptacl.jpg  
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #7

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!!!!! The drawing was excellent...had it done in just about an hour. I owe you a drink!!!!

Last edited by forsale69; 01-06-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement