Switch Switch-a-roo - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Switch switch-a-roo

Hey all,

I'm glad I discovered this forum! Anyway, I just purchased a house (circa 2002) and found out that the light switches are in the most illogical places. Both physically and function wise. I would like to one day move the actual switches, but what brings me here today is much easier for someone to explain to me.

In several rooms, the switch closest to the door turns on the ceiling fan while the "farthest" switch turns on the light. I'd like to reverse this so when you enter the room, the first switch you come to turns on the lights. How do you do this? I have experience with car electrical work, but have never really messed with home electrics.

As I said before, I'd like to one day physically move the switch panel (who installs the switches behind the door you have to open to enter the room???), but that's a topic for a different day...

Thanks all!
97runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,374

Turn the power off. Remove the cover plate. Loosen the screws on both switches leaving the wires connected to the switches. Swap the positions of the two switches in the j-box. Refasten the the switches in their new locations. Replace cover plate. Turn the power back on.

Oops, I was assuming the switches are in the same 2 gang box. If not, disregard the above.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Turn the power off. Remove the cover plate. Loosen the screws on both switches leaving the wires connected to the switches. Swap the positions of the two switches in the j-box. Refasten the the switches in their new locations. Replace cover plate. Turn the power back on.

Oops, I was assuming the switches are in the same 2 gang box. If not, disregard the above.
If I remember correctly, they are in the same box. I just wasn't sure if there was enough wire to swap the locations...if that makes sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Please let us know if that worked for you, although I don't see why it wouldn't.
tuesfutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

As I said before, I'd like to one day physically move the switch panel (who installs the switches behind the door you have to open to enter the room???), but that's a topic for a different day...
That's easy just unscrew the hinges from the door jam and turn the door upside down.
Assuming the door handle is in the middle of door. Not really but I thought it was funny.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
That's easy just unscrew the hinges from the door jam and turn the door upside down.
Assuming the door handle is in the middle of door. Not really but I thought it was funny.
I figured doing just this would be easier than moving the wiring

But alas, the door handle isn't in the middle. I have a bedroom that has 3 switches on it and is behind the door in the room:

(From closest to the door)
1st switch turns on the closet light,
2nd is overhead
3rd ceiling fan.

I don't understand why they didn't put the switches on the "closet" wall just as you enter the room. I'd like to move the entire panel there. What's the purpose of putting it on the wall behind the door??? They also installed the switches that turn on the foyer light behind the entry door. So if the house is dark as you enter, you have to basically close the door to turn on the light. That switch panel (from closest to door):

1st spot light on side of house
2nd porch light
3rd foyer light

You then have to clear the foyer to find the family room's light switches (which are reversed from logical order). I haven't been in the house long, but its apparent to me that the general contractor / electrician was doing the house for profit and not for efficiency or logic.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97runner View Post
I figured doing just this would be easier than moving the wiring

But alas, the door handle isn't in the middle. I have a bedroom that has 3 switches on it and is behind the door in the room:

(From closest to the door)
1st switch turns on the closet light,
2nd is overhead
3rd ceiling fan.

I don't understand why they didn't put the switches on the "closet" wall just as you enter the room. I'd like to move the entire panel there. What's the purpose of putting it on the wall behind the door??? They also installed the switches that turn on the foyer light behind the entry door. So if the house is dark as you enter, you have to basically close the door to turn on the light. That switch panel (from closest to door):

1st spot light on side of house
2nd porch light
3rd foyer light

You then have to clear the foyer to find the family room's light switches (which are reversed from logical order). I haven't been in the house long, but its apparent to me that the general contractor / electrician was doing the house for profit and not for efficiency or logic.
I know that can be annoying. I rented a house like that once. It was a owner builder. I figured they ordered the wrong door and put it in anyway.

If the wires aren't long enough I would splice longer pieces in with wire nuts if there is enough room.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement