Suggested Amount Of Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Suggested Amount of Light

I'm rethinking the AMOUNT of lights I'm putting into a Den. I've figured out what I want, but I'm not sure how much.

The Den is 19'x14'6" with 8' ceilings. Around the perimeter of the whole room is a soffit 12" tall and 20" wide used to conceal HVAC stuff.

I want the ability to adjust lighting levels without using a dimmer (plan to use CFLs, and don't want to have to use "dimmable" ones).

So my plan is this:

Two bulb light fixtures on the ceiling. All the 1st bulbs in these fixtures will be wired to one switch and have 60 watt (equivalent) bulbs in them. The 2nd bulb in these fixtures will be wired to a second switch and have 40 watt (equivalent) bulbs.

In addition, I found some wall mount lights (sconches sp?) to use to help light up the underside of the soffits. Each can hold a 60 watt bulb, but I'll likely use only 40 watt (equivalent). Unless suggested other wise, I plan to have all the wall lights on a single switch.

With this setup, I can have a variety of light levels, never requiring a dimmer (so I don't have to worry about special bulbs).

But what I'm not sure of is how many of each light I need. My initial plan was for 10 wall lights (spaced about 6' appart) all the way around the room, and 6 sets of ceiling lights laid out like the number "6" on a die.

I'm trying to determine if that is the right amount of lights or if I should reduce the number of lights (say use 6 or 8 wall lights and only 4 ceiling lights).

Any input would be appreciated.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

This link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux
will give you the lux level desired for your den. I'd say something less than 500 lux and greater than 80.

The lumens per watt for different types of lamps can be found on the Web or on Wiki.

The trick is to figure out how to get the lux level you want 5' or 3' from the ceiling, given the lumen output of your lamps. If you can get their e-mail addresses, sometimes the manufacturers can help with this. Their software calculates it.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
I'm rethinking the AMOUNT of lights I'm putting into a Den. I've figured out what I want, but I'm not sure how much.

The Den is 19'x14'6" with 8' ceilings. Around the perimeter of the whole room is a soffit 12" tall and 20" wide used to conceal HVAC stuff.

I want the ability to adjust lighting levels without using a dimmer (plan to use CFLs, and don't want to have to use "dimmable" ones).

So my plan is this:

Two bulb light fixtures on the ceiling. All the 1st bulbs in these fixtures will be wired to one switch and have 60 watt (equivalent) bulbs in them. The 2nd bulb in these fixtures will be wired to a second switch and have 40 watt (equivalent) bulbs.

In addition, I found some wall mount lights (sconches sp?) to use to help light up the underside of the soffits. Each can hold a 60 watt bulb, but I'll likely use only 40 watt (equivalent). Unless suggested other wise, I plan to have all the wall lights on a single switch.

With this setup, I can have a variety of light levels, never requiring a dimmer (so I don't have to worry about special bulbs).

But what I'm not sure of is how many of each light I need. My initial plan was for 10 wall lights (spaced about 6' appart) all the way around the room, and 6 sets of ceiling lights laid out like the number "6" on a die.

I'm trying to determine if that is the right amount of lights or if I should reduce the number of lights (say use 6 or 8 wall lights and only 4 ceiling lights).

Any input would be appreciated.
why not use the wall lights but put two on each long wall and one centered on the shorter wall. Make your 6die pattern in the cieling but switch the middle light of each side seperately form the other four. This will allow you to better control the lighting levels. I think you'll find that if you have 10 wall lights in a room that size it will shine like the sun. I recently did a basement and installed only 4 recessed cans in a 14x 16 space and it lit up beautifully. It would be easier to adjust the wattage of the lights being used to get the brightness you want than to try and add or remove fixtures after.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement