Subpanel In Attic - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Subpanel in attic

I want to put a subpanel in my attic so I can rewire the up stairs. Dont want to have to fish alot of wires down stairs through 2 floors. Anyone ever done this? My house is a 105 years old some wiring is updated somes not. Some still knob and spool.
Kurt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Most of the time, a sub is placed in a hallway, and from there it is accessible, and people know where it is.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

What kind of attic?
Walk up attic, drop down door? Insulated ?
Is it hot up there in the summer ?
An attic would be my last choice, and its not even that hot here

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #4

Its a walkin attic off my bedroom. No its not insulated yet. Going to be making a home theater room and a storage closet in it. I guess I could put it in the hallway. If I put it the hallway does it have to be on an inside wall or can it be on a outside wall.

Last edited by Kurt1968; 10-29-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #5

As a walk-in off the bedroom thats not too bad
As long as it doesn't get too hot - that would mean derating the power capacity of the wire
Once insulated it should be fine I think

Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

I would place it in the hall next to a closet wall, so that if you need to pull wire up from the basement, you can do it in the closet. As for placing in the Home Theater, same effect, place in a closet, especially if you are going to build an equipment space, make it so that you have the 36x36" space from the door, and the space is lit well enough so that a drop light does not have to be used.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,010

Walkin attic that will be converted into a room in future will not be a problem. Just make sure where you place it there will be proper clearances in front of it when the new room is built.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #8

I have 100 amp service. What size subpanel would I need? Upstairs has about 10 outlets and 5 lights right now. Not includeing what I put in the attic.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Size of the sub panel depends on the intended load. Themost common size for a sub panel is 60 amps.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #10

How many outlets can I put on one breaker? Same for lights how many?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Super Moderator

No limit on count under NEC for receptales. Lighting is limited only by the max wattage rating of the fixture.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
No limit on count under NEC for receptales. Lighting is limited only by the max wattage rating of the fixture.
I once thought that a lighting circuit was limited by the Max rating of the fixture (told by others)
But have been unable to find anything in the NEC that covers this
The only thing I have found is that the load shall not exceed the circuit rating

Do you know of a NEC code that restricts the lighting load by the fixture rating?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I once thought that a lighting circuit was limited by the Max rating of the fixture (told by others)
But have been unable to find anything in the NEC that covers this
The only thing I have found is that the load shall not exceed the circuit rating

Do you know of a NEC code that restricts the lighting load by the fixture rating?

Dave let me clear this tibbit up a little the lighting load by luminiare rating will make the diffrence and majorty of the time in resdentail it is not contionous load and you can load it up to max of either 15 or 20 amp circuits { make sure you have proper conductor size }

The only time I will treat them as contouous load if stay on more than 3 hours
Electric water heater and electric baseboard heaters that will click to my mind pretty fast that is the only useal item that will be on contiounus load everything else is not contiouns load at all.

Ditto in Comemercal side as well.{ but with more restrictions will show up }

Merci, Marc

Edit to add here:

Unless your state /Providice do have engery code requirement that will change a bit.

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 10-30-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add quick info add to it
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

Right - but I repeatedly see people saying you can only load a lighting circuit by the MAX bulb rating on the fixture
So if you have fixtures rated for a 100w Max bulb you can only install 18 on a 15a circuit for 1800w POSSIBLE total based on the fixture

But I use CFL's, as do a lot of people
And a lot of recessed cans are rated up to a 150w Max bulb, which means you could only install 12 cans on a circuit

This doesn't make total sense, not that the NEC has to
But I have yet to have anybody point me to the NEC code section that requires you to follow this load requirement

Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Right - but I repeatedly see people saying you can only load a lighting circuit by the MAX bulb rating on the fixture
So if you have fixtures rated for a 100w Max bulb you can only install 18 on a 15a circuit for 1800w POSSIBLE total based on the fixture

But I use CFL's, as do a lot of people
And a lot of recessed cans are rated up to a 150w Max bulb, which means you could only install 12 cans on a circuit

This doesn't make total sense, not that the NEC has to
But I have yet to have anybody point me to the NEC code section that requires you to follow this load requirement
I can see where it is going with the luminaire max wattage rating vs the circuit capcity requirement

I am pretty sure that this topic been brought up from time to time.

Really for myself when I do make the layout of the luminaries what I do with recessed cans I go by max wattage per manufacter requirement the reason why I do go that route due I know some of my customers will get " engery saver bulbs or CFL screw in bulbs " with CFL screw in bulbs I automatically go with max luminaire wattage it listed due some peoples will reinverted back to indetscent bulbs { I know it happend more than once }

Really in the NEC IIRC they mention load demand figures and with genral lighting circuits they useally set for 3 watt per sq foot { some states are more stricter so the wattage per sq footage will shrink }

And what more the NEC is a guideline for basic requirement and the local codes may have more items add or delted from the NEC requirement.

BTW in France it much stricter due we have figure the luminaire wattage and qualinty to get proper permit { the electric rates is much higher than USA }

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement