Sub Panels And Conduit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

sub panels and conduit

I have a GE load center that would like to use for subpanel. couple questions:

1) is there a limitation to the numbers of conduits and size going into the panel? looking a one stubbie going into it for feed and then 3 conduits from 1 inch to 1.5 inches going in from the bottom.

2) for convenience and lay out, I would like stubbie going in from the side but there is no punch out on the side. Is side feed allowable and what is the best way to put a 1.25 inch hole in the panel for the feed? there is a side feed punch out on the panel I am accessing feed .

3) as this is an outside panel, what is the minimum from the ground that it should be?

4) is there a convenient and allowable way to have two conduits "meet" underground and then the conductors run out of this junction into one larger conduit? (thinking 1 12G and 1 6G joining to go into one 1.25 or 1.5 inch conduit for rest of run (about 10 feet) for convenience and ease.

Thanks in advance for advice.
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
1) is there a limitation to the numbers of conduits and size going into the panel?
if they fit, they are fine.

Quote:
looking a one stubbie going into it for feed and then 3 conduits from 1 inch to 1.5 inches going in from the bottom.
what are you running in those conduits?

Quote:
2) for convenience and lay out, I would like stubbie going in from the side but there is no punch out on the side. Is side feed allowable and what is the best way to put a 1.25 inch hole in the panel for the feed?
yes and a proper sized hole saw or a proper sized punch. Be mindful though. Some equipment has markings of how far up the side you can put a hole. You should also use seal washers.

Quote:
3) as this is an outside panel, what is the minimum from the ground that it should be?
not in the water. Unless you are beside a body of water, there is no lower limit, only an upper limit. Common sense should guide you though with the lower limit.

Quote:
4) is there a convenient and allowable way to have two conduits "meet" underground and then the conductors run out of this junction into one larger conduit?
nope, not underground. It would require a junction box or hand hole. It must be accessible at the surface.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement