Sub-panell Breakers??? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 948

Sub-panell breakers???

Ok, I've been wondering this for some time, but finally thinking about it. About 2 yrs ago when I bought my house, I had the service upgraded from 65amp service to 200amp service. At the same time, I had the electrician install a sub panel in the garage and one in the basement. It was inspected and signed off on.

Now for my question. In the main panel is a 60amp breaker for the basement and a 40amp for the garage. In the basement sub panel is a 30amp breaker for the main disconnect and in the garage a 50amp breaker for the main disconnect. Shouldn't they match? I'm also guessing my garage would trip at 40amps and my basement at 30amps. Correct??

So far I haven't had any issues, but I am getting ready to install a heater in my garage before winter...
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
Now for my question. In the main panel is a 60amp breaker for the basement and a 40amp for the garage. In the basement sub panel is a 30amp breaker for the main disconnect and in the garage a 50amp breaker for the main disconnect. Shouldn't they match? I'm also guessing my garage would trip at 40amps and my basement at 30amps. Correct??
The breaker you see in the main panel is sized to protect the wire that feeds the sub panel. Your are correct in your assumption as to which breaker will trip. Were the sup panels new or were they just being reused from some other place? If you feel like investigating, the first thing you would need to know is what size wire, and if it is copper or aluminum, is feeding each sub panel.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

Both sub panels are not required to have main breakers installed in them. The only time you need a main breaker is when the sub panel is in an unattached structure. Your basement is considered an attached structure. The electrician did not need to use main breaker panels for either sub panel.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Both sub panels are not required to have main breakers installed in them. The only time you need a main breaker is when the sub panel is in an unattached structure. Your basement is considered an attached structure. The electrician did not need to use main breaker panels for either sub panel.
I actually mis-spoke about the basement. The 30amp in that is actually for the clothes dryer. Not sure what I was thinking, because after thinking about it, I realized I actually had wondered why they had a main breaker in my garage, which is detached, and not in the basemen. I guess you answered that question.

As for the wire size, I'll check on that in a little while. It would be nice if I could up the garage to 60amp+, I actually told the electrician I wanted 100amp out there, but he said I'd likely never need that much out there....

As far as I know everything is new!
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement