Sub Panel - Neutral & Ground Bars - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jbfan
  • 2 Post By joed

Old 09-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #1

Sub panel - Neutral & Ground Bars

I am adding additional circuits for a renovation. My main panel is full, however, my sub panel has enough open breaker slots. When opening my sub panel to add these breakers, I noticed a couple of things:

1. The neutral terminals (on left side of breakers) would have enough extra terminal screws to add new neutral lines, however the neutral lug from the main panel is directly in the middle of one of the bars. This eliminates 6 neutral bar screws from being useful. Additionally, all but one of the other neutral terminal screws are already consumed with a neutral wire. I realize I cannot double up neutral wires in the same terminal screw. Even if I move the neutral lug that’s mounted in the middle of the bar, that will only open up about 3 neutral bar screws to use. Which still is not enough to match the available breaker slots.

2. The neutral bar and ground bars (on the right side) are bonded via the connection bar at the top of the panel. This does not seem to be correct since it’s a sub panel. Everything that I read and understand point to the need of having these completely separated within a sub panel for good reasons.

With the two points above, I was thinking of adding a new/separate ground bar directly to the box. I could then disconnect the ground from the main panel and the individual sub panel breaker grounds and reconnect them to the new/separate ground bar. This would then fix both points above..1. Open up new/additional neutral screws (that were previously used for grounds). 2. Eliminate the bonded neutral and ground terminals.

Can a professional confirm this approach is safe, compliant, and viable? Or provide another approach.

Picture of current sub panel is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Sub panel - Neutral & Ground Bars-e33a0604-cacd-42df-b448-75748b912808_1537355528651.jpg  
Cshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,442

Re: Sub panel - Neutral & Ground Bars

Add a ground bar, remove the green screw, move all grounds to the to the ground bar and you will be good.
jhil and CodeMatters like this.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #3

Perfect. Thanks!
Cshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,934

Re: Sub panel - Neutral & Ground Bars

For convenience you could add two ground bars, one on each side.
jbfan and CodeMatters like this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,740

You need to add a ground bar over the raised bumps on the back of the panel. Both of the existing bars are for neutrals.

It.looks.like the green bond screw is installed. It should be removed it the feeder is 4 wires.
Advertisement