Strange Acting Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Strange acting outlets

I just bought a house, and 2 outlets in the master bedroom aren't working properly. When you plug in an outlet tester, the tester shows them to be properly wired. However when you plug something into them they don't work. Now for the strangest part, when the outlet tester is plugged in to one of the outlets, you can plug something in to the other and it will work. For example, if you plug in a lamp to the top plug it won't work, if you then plug in the tester to the bottom plug the light will turn on. I tired plugging in something else with a 3 prong cord in place of the tester and nothing works again. What could be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance, Dustin
ds211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Wow, that IS weird! I'd cut the power and remove and replace the device and see what happens.
Use a GFCI if there is no ground wire. (older home used 2 wire systems)

DM
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds211 View Post
nothing works again. What could be the cause of this?
An intermittent connection, which works or not depending on the mechanical pressure you put on the outlet.

There was another post on all the ways an outlet tester will lie to you but in this case it may have told you the truth.

Since things seem to work in twos, try plugging in two known good incand. lamps while you push on the outlet face. Listen for arcing while you do this or use an AM radio nearby with the volume up and tuned between stations. Arcs give off radio frequencies, just like lightning.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-12-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

Plug a tester in it see what you get from both hots. could be a multiwire with bad neutral. Or bad connection as suggested. try to plug in two incad bulbs see if they light up.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Ok, here's a little more information. What I have is 3 outlet boxes on one wall about 10ft apart from each other. I originally plugged a lamp into one of them and it didn't work, tried the light switches to see if they were on that circuit because there's no ceiling light, nothing. I plugged in my outlet tester and it lit up saying it was fine. With the tester still plugged in I tried the light again and it worked, until I unplugged the tester then it shut off. After trying some of the suggestion above (thanks) with no change, I left the light plugged into one outlet and tried the tester in another and the damn light turned on. So as long as the tester is plugged into one of the 3 outlets, all three of them will work. I tried plugging something with a 3 prong cord in place of the tester and nothing worked. It's like the circuit is open somewhere and the tester is closing it?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Figured it out. I had an open neutral at the junction box. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement