Sth. Wrong With My Switch, Please Help!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sth. wrong with my switch, please help!!

My bathroom has a 2 single pole switchs, one switch control the lights, the other one control the exhaust fan. There is sth. wrong with the exhaust fan switch today, no matter the switch is On or Off. The fan keep working. I assumed the switch is dead, then I change a new one. But it's still the same. The light switch is fine. Anyone can help?
sldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 958

What was changed to make the fan run all the time?
Things just don't go to working wrong. when they have worked right, unless someone changed something.

Last edited by jbfan; 12-20-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

In this 2 gang box how many wires do you have ? 3 one feed(hot) one going ro light and one going to fan ? I Agree with jbfan something has changed.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

Yes, There are 3 wires. Nobody changed anything, it just suddently happen at night.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

sounds like a wire is touching another inside the fan unit, it may have overheated and melted the insulation off the wires.
i'd cut the power and examine it.
replace if needed.

DM
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

It's really headache. I replace the fan switch already, but still not good. Don't know what to do.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldc View Post
It's really headache. I replace the fan switch already, but still not good. Don't know what to do.
Check to make sure on the fan its self, and the switch that none of the wire are touching and/or knicked and are rubbing...

-cody
thekoolcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

If you changed the switch for the fan, then you can understand this: Shut off the power to the bath area, the fan should stop running. Find an auxiliary light source, a lamp plugged into another room, etc., so you will have light to see. Remove the cover/grill on the fan, remove whatever is needed on your unit so you can see the wiring for the fan. Even though you turned off the power to the bath area, I always double check the wiring for power IF you have a way please do so. Look for any burnt or discolored wiring at this time, look for any nicks in the wiring that would allow two wires to make contact with each other so as to create a circuit. IF you are comfortable with this: pull the wiring out so you can inspect each wire for anything that does not look correct. IF you see something really obvious, then you may have found your problem. IF the wiring look to be in good shape, it's time to call in an electrician. On second thought: check to make sure the new switch you bought is a replacement switch for the one you removed. IF you have a multi-meter, check the switch with the power OFF to make sure it is working properly. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement