Static Shocks - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: anoka county mn
Posts: 317
Rewards Points: 256
Default

static shocks


when i wake up and leave for work in the morning i walk accros the floor in socks to turn on the light switch i get static shocks. yes i understand that when you rub your socks on carpet you can buildup a small charge and get a shock when you touch metal ,, however i am not touching metal im touching a plastic light switch and getting a fairly good static shock . this only started recently is it normal or is there something possibly going on with my electrical grounds etc.?? and its not like im even rubbing my feet im bascically just taking steps about 7 feet ,,, then zapp ..
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Professional Wood Shafter
 
ryanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 154
Default


I have a friend with the same problem in his house always getting shocks on all the door knobs and stuff. Your house is like his most likely the air is to dry. Try adding a humidifier maybe ?
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
fix it
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 25
Default


The switch is plastic but there are probably metal screws on the faceplate.

Houses are dry in the winter and static shocks are more prevalent. Your signature does not state where you live, but if you're in a cold climate, low humidity is likely your problem.
detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default


Terrible here in Illinois although it has not been quite so dry this winter and I haven't had WtW carpet to deal with in ages. Some of the zaps were strong enough to almost sting for a second. Quite the light show at night with the lights out. In the old days I used to zap at least one computer or electronic component to death, or at least trigger its fuse to trip, every winter. I had to wear a grounding wrist band when taking the cover off to service components. Keyboards used to need a static electricity discharge matt under them, hooked to the ground in an outlet. I had to remember to touch before banging away at the keys.

Adding humidity well help. Try to remember to touch something other than the switch to get rid of the charge first. I thought touching the love of my life could help but we would often just end up zapping each other.

Off the main topic, but oldrivers, do click on your username when logged in and update your basic location? It will make it easier for us to respond to your posts if we know where you are.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 97
Rewards Points: 121
Default

Static Shock Tip


This is not a reply to the original post but simply a tip for dealing with static shocks. Before you touch any metal you think you will get a shock from, reach in your pocket and grab your car key, touch the key to the metal and you won't feel a thing.
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,512
Rewards Points: 1,120
Default


The switch is grounded, as it should be. Touching the plastic plate or switch with enough of a charge will still cause a spark. There is no safety issue, but be very careful not to touch your computer or any parts of it such as keyboard, mouse, or any other connected device. You can easily blow any component in the system.
I have a grounded antenna cable next to my computer, which I always touch before touching any computer or other electronics part.

I recommend that you change your socks. Try wearing only cotton socks. Cotton does not usually pick up a charge. You are probably wearing poly or nylon socks.

Also, spraying the carpet with 3M Static Guard should help.

FW
__________________

Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Professional Wood Shafter
 
ryanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 154
Default


My buddy who has thsi problem, does even have carpet! Its all hardwood lol. Just added a new furance with a somewhat of a built in humidifier, helped a bit but not much
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I reduce my AC CFM/ton to under 300 to lower static pressure? key1cc HVAC 34 06-02-2009 05:02 AM
Static Pressure befor filter or after key1cc HVAC 33 11-23-2008 09:56 PM
Carrier 58MVC low static pressure alarm diy12345678 HVAC 1 11-06-2008 08:21 PM
Static Pressure: Rule of Thumb? rjordan392 HVAC 4 06-06-2008 12:55 PM
Telephone line static without external filters installed Unregistered Electrical 5 11-21-2004 12:38 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts