Static Shocks - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

static shocks

when i wake up and leave for work in the morning i walk accros the floor in socks to turn on the light switch i get static shocks. yes i understand that when you rub your socks on carpet you can buildup a small charge and get a shock when you touch metal ,, however i am not touching metal im touching a plastic light switch and getting a fairly good static shock . this only started recently is it normal or is there something possibly going on with my electrical grounds etc.?? and its not like im even rubbing my feet im bascically just taking steps about 7 feet ,,, then zapp ..
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Professional Wood Shafter

Rewards Points: 154

I have a friend with the same problem in his house always getting shocks on all the door knobs and stuff. Your house is like his most likely the air is to dry. Try adding a humidifier maybe ?
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
fix it

Rewards Points: 25

The switch is plastic but there are probably metal screws on the faceplate.

Houses are dry in the winter and static shocks are more prevalent. Your signature does not state where you live, but if you're in a cold climate, low humidity is likely your problem.
detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Terrible here in Illinois although it has not been quite so dry this winter and I haven't had WtW carpet to deal with in ages. Some of the zaps were strong enough to almost sting for a second. Quite the light show at night with the lights out. In the old days I used to zap at least one computer or electronic component to death, or at least trigger its fuse to trip, every winter. I had to wear a grounding wrist band when taking the cover off to service components. Keyboards used to need a static electricity discharge matt under them, hooked to the ground in an outlet. I had to remember to touch before banging away at the keys.

Adding humidity well help. Try to remember to touch something other than the switch to get rid of the charge first. I thought touching the love of my life could help but we would often just end up zapping each other.

Off the main topic, but oldrivers, do click on your username when logged in and update your basic location? It will make it easier for us to respond to your posts if we know where you are.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 121

Static Shock Tip

This is not a reply to the original post but simply a tip for dealing with static shocks. Before you touch any metal you think you will get a shock from, reach in your pocket and grab your car key, touch the key to the metal and you won't feel a thing.
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,120

The switch is grounded, as it should be. Touching the plastic plate or switch with enough of a charge will still cause a spark. There is no safety issue, but be very careful not to touch your computer or any parts of it such as keyboard, mouse, or any other connected device. You can easily blow any component in the system.
I have a grounded antenna cable next to my computer, which I always touch before touching any computer or other electronics part.

I recommend that you change your socks. Try wearing only cotton socks. Cotton does not usually pick up a charge. You are probably wearing poly or nylon socks.

Also, spraying the carpet with 3M Static Guard should help.

FW

Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Professional Wood Shafter

Rewards Points: 154

My buddy who has thsi problem, does even have carpet! Its all hardwood lol. Just added a new furance with a somewhat of a built in humidifier, helped a bit but not much
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement