Static Electricity And Gas Lines - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Static electricity and gas lines

I recently installed a new hot water heater. An electrician friend of mine told me I need to bond my gas line to the flexible copper tubing coming out of the w.h. to disperse the static electricity. I searched all of my reference books and my IRC but could not find this info. Do I need to do this?

(My water lines are plastic except for the entrance pipe which is 3ft of copper)
Thanks
brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob View Post
new hot water heater.
gas line
to disperse the static electricity.
"
The energy released in a static electricity discharge may vary over a wide range. The energy in joules can be calculated from the capacitance (C) of the object and the static potential V in volts (V) by the formula E = ˝CV2.[18] The capacitance of human body can be as high as 400 picofarads (though typically ranging between 100 and 300 pF); a charge of 50,000 volts, discharged e.g. during touching a charged car, creates a spark with energy of 500 millijoules.[19]
. . .
Low relative humidity increases the charge buildup; walking 20 feet (6.1 m) on vinyl floor at 15% relative humidity causes buildup of voltage up to 12 kilovolts, while at 80% humidity the voltage is only 1.5 kV.[20][21]

As little as 0.2 millijoules may present a hazard; such low spark energy is often below the threshold of human visual and auditory perception.
. . .
A relatively small energy, often as little as 0.2–2 millijoules, is needed to ignite a flammable mixture of a fuel and air.
"

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-29-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
"
The energy released in a static electricity discharge may vary over a wide range. The energy in joules can be calculated from the capacitance (C) of the object and the static potential V in volts (V) by the formula E = ˝CV2.[18] The capacitance of human body can be as high as 400 picofarads (though typically ranging between 100 and 300 pF); a charge of 50,000 volts, discharged e.g. during touching a charged car, creates a spark with energy of 500 millijoules.[19]
. . .
Low relative humidity increases the charge buildup; walking 20 feet (6.1 m) on vinyl floor at 15% relative humidity causes buildup of voltage up to 12 kilovolts, while at 80% humidity the voltage is only 1.5 kV.[20][21]

As little as 0.2 millijoules may present a hazard; such low spark energy is often below the threshold of human visual and auditory perception.
. . .
A relatively small energy, often as little as 0.2–2 millijoules, is needed to ignite a flammable mixture of a fuel and air.
"
Quote:
The Balloonist

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet about the ground. You are between 40 and 42 degrees north latitude and between 58 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.
"I am," replied the man, "but how did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost."
Now that that's out of the way, I'll address the question; I've never heard of any requirement to bond gas lines for "static electricity." Assuming you have a gas furnace, your gas lines are already bonded through the equipment grounding conductor to your furnace.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

There must be websites that translate from GeekSpeak to English, somewhere. . .?

I guess the OP could check for proper bonding with an ohmmeter.

A priest, a thief and an engineer are all slated to be executed by guillotine. The priest is to be dispatched first and the executioner asks him:

“How do you want to face on the guillotine?”

The priest responds:

“With my face up, looking toward heaven.”

The executioner accedes and the priest is laid face up on the guillotine. The executioner pulls the cord; the blade drops, and then miraculously stops within mere inches of the priest’s neck. The gathered witnesses gasp in astonishment. Everybody agrees that it is a miracle and sign of divine intervention and the priest’s life is spared.

The thief is next. When the executioner asks how he’d like to be positioned the thief responds:

“With my face up, looking toward heaven.”

The executioner complies, and the thief is laid down face up. The cord is pulled. The blade falls, and, as
with the priest the blade stops inches from the thief’s neck. Again the witnesses gasp. They can understand
a miracle occurring with the priest but with a thief! Nonetheless, they take it as a sign from god, and release
the thief.

Finally, it’s the engineer’s turn. Like the other two he wishes to be executed face up, looking toward heaven. The executioner lays him down, but before he can pull the cord the engineer yells out:

“Stop! Stop!”

The executioner pauses, and the engineer, looking up at the guillotine says, “I think I see the problem.”

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-29-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

thanks
brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement