Stab-lok Breakers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
2 fingered typer

Rewards Points: 25
Thumbs down

Stab-lok Breakers

I've read a few posts regarding these breakers here, and they are not good. I have to add a sump pump on it's own circuit in an older house, Mt Clemens Michigan. The panel is A Stab-lok and I found an online source for them. Are they just a fire hazard waiting to happen? And are the ones available as good/bad as the originals? I'm thinking a sinle pole 15 amp should do the trick. 1/3 hp motor. This is just a favor to a friend, but I don't want to be sued later for any "faults" that I might have made. IYKWIM. heh...heh Any thought other than replace the whole panel, not in the budget. Add to the homeowner's insurance limit? They will pull the permits. I am a certified NRA Range Safety Officer and was in the safety patrol in grammer school...that's it. I did stay at a Motel 6 on route 66, once. bill
woodnthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I will still occaisionall add a circuit to an FPE panel.

It's legal.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
2 fingered typer

The Inspector wants it on a separate circuit

And there are no remaining or extra breakers left. So I'm trying to locate a couple of sparess 15 and 20 amps. I found this place online.
http://www.circuitbreakerservice.com/Federal-Pacific-FPE/search.html?types=NC
$ 29.00 each, seems a little high,but maybe that's not bad considering they might be hard to find nowadays. Thanks, bill

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-29-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,018

They make and sell FPE panels in Canada. Breakers are around $10. Probably not certified to use in USA though.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 968

Hey joed do you know if federal pacific in canada had the same problems as the US. Also was it the breakers that had the issues or was it the panel itself. If it was the breakers could you not just change out all the old stab lok breakers with the new stab lok breakers and be alot safer.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,018

It is Federal Pioneer in Canada. They did not have the same issues as the US. They are still produced and sold by Schneider
Electric.

http://www.schneider-electric.ca/
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
2 fingered typer

Found some locally

Just up the road, my favorite electrical supply house had some. ReallY? YUP. $15.00 each. I had never heard of them, so I was suprised. Problem solved for now, or until the next "inspection". Thanks, bill
Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs down

issue of legality install "Stab-Lok" breaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
[I will still occaisionall add a circuit to an FPE panel.

It's legal].
It's legal, alright. But would give me sleepless nights. And every time I'd hear the sirens of a Fire engine, I would think, maybe they're going to "My Job"!
The problem with those breakers is, that they're a "passive danger". When the protection needs to be there, it isn't!don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

There are a lot of stablocks here and all the Home Depots carry replacements. I have hundreds of them in my warehouse from panels I pull out.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #10

Distinction bet. US and Canadian FPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
They make and sell FPE panels in Canada. Breakers are around $10. Probably not certified to use in USA though.
I've done extensive research on this subject. (beside encountering that brand in my work) I know that the Canadian "Federal" breakers were of a higher quality than those manufactured in the USA. But I don't know if the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) de- listed them along with the panels, which were defective also, and a major contributor to the fires that they caused. Today, the company doesn't exist. The successor corporation is a Lawyer's office, where all the lawsuits (not against the installers, but against the manufacturing co.) are directed!!!Don't Drink and Drive!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 06-29-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Typographical error/s
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #11

Candian breakers are of a higher quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Hey joed do you know if federal pacific in canada had the same problems as the US. Also was it the breakers that had the issues or was it the panel itself. If it was the breakers could you not just change out all the old stab lok breakers with the new stab lok breakers and be alot safer.
In the USA it was established that both, the breaker and panel were at fault. The contact bet. breaker and panel was of such poor quality that it caused the panel to overheat and the breaker itself (the material) was of such poor quality that the part that would "pull" the breaker down was corroded!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,350

It was only a certain generation of FPE panels and breakers that had problems. FPE had a very good reputation as a quality product until the 70s and 80s. Panels and breakers older than that are generally OK, and I wouldn't hesitate to install a breaker in such a panel. The breakers with the red handles are the ones that are notorious.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Well, I'll be damned, check this out. www.allbreakers.com/Circuit-Breakers/Siemens-ITE/B/B160-spc-jppmdrmqi.html
It appears that they are still available, a single-pole, 120v, 60 amp, breaker.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
2 fingered typer

Thurman!

I don't think those Siemens are the same as this:
Federal Pacific FPE NC015Our Price: $28.00View Details >Type: NC
Poles: 1
Amps: 15
Voltage: 120/240
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Electrician

Rewards Points: 968

Inphase thanks for the info you answered my question. I have a friend who has a federal pacific and was wondering if he should change it out but he doesn't have the red handles so he should be alright.

There is a panel in canada called federal pioneer that use stab lok breakers so i think here in canada they changed names and probably the technology as well.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement