Splitting 220v Power To VFDs In Wood Shop? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Splitting 220v power to VFDs in wood shop?

I've got two machines in one corner of my shop that require VFDs to convert from 1ph to 3ph power. I have one line of 220v running in 25ft of flex conduit to that corner on a 20amp breaker. One VFD calls for 20amps, the other calls for a 10amp breaker. The VFDs will both be on simultaneously, but the machines will never run simultaneously. I know VFDs are sensitive to feedback and interferences on the lines so i'm looking for a practical solution.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to get power to both machines. Do I use the one line and split it somehow in a junction box? If so, can you explain what i need to split it? Also, once i get it split i guess i would need a fused disconnect or something to get the 10amp protection for the one VFD?

Or, would I be better off running a new line of 220v flex to the corner on a 10amp breaker from the box?

thanks for the help,
A.
Athanasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Personally I would run separate circuits to each vfd but there is nothing saying you can't use the same feeder. You could splice the feed in a box and stub out to both vfds.
Colomboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,608

VFD manufacturers generally insist that each VFD be on its own circuit. At the same time, many industrial equipment manufacturers run tons of VFDs in parallel on large circuit breakers, especially for fractional-horsepower applications. I don't think it makes much difference.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement