Splicing Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 599

Splicing Wire

I'm planning to install some outdoor low voltage strip lighting under a retaining wall cap bordering my driveway. The location where the lighting will begin is about 22 feet from the garage entrance, where just inside, there is an outlet into which the transformer will be plugged. So I need to get from there to the lights, running through the base of the garage, under the turf, and then to the wall.

The picture shows a typical molded insulated thin wire with one pin plug and receiver. Is there any reason I can''t just splice in some appropriately sized wire to extend that plug to where I need it?
Attached Images

Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 892

Re: Splicing Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon10 View Post

The picture shows a typical molded insulated thin wire with one pin plug and receiver. Is there any reason I can''t just splice in some appropriately sized wire to extend that plug to where I need it?

sure you can,

just use the same guage wire
anyacolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,008

Re: Splicing Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon10 View Post
While you could splice in a length of wire, it may be better if you made up an extension lead using a Plug/Socket pair and "garden" cable suitable for running "under the turf" as you propose.

(I realise that there may be a problem fitting the Plug and Socket to a more heavily insulated "Garden" cable and appropriate "tails" of a lighter cable may be needed. However, that would avoid "butchering" the original cables.

In either case, soldering will be required and appropriately sized "heat shrink" tubing should be used.)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement