Splicing - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By afjes2015
  • 2 Post By LawnGuyLandSparky

Old 06-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Splicing

Have wasted 3 Saturdays now waiting on an electrician to actually show (I need a bucket truck to run the wire up the pole) I now plan to extend my current 100 amp service to the new 200A main panel which is located 36' away. Would prefer to splice these as the sub panel needs to come out so that I can finish running conduit.

This is located in a detached garage and I stripped out all of the old wiring prior to starting this project. Getting too darn old to be tripping over extension cords and I have a cnc just sitting gathering dust instead of making it!

If memory serves me I used #1 aluminum. What type of splice do you recommend for this?

Last edited by Options; 06-15-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 573

Re: Splicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Have wasted 3 Saturdays now waiting on an electrician to actually show (I need a bucket truck to run the wire up the pole) I now plan to extend my current 100 amp service to the new 200A main panel which is located 36' away. Would prefer to splice these as the sub panel needs to come out so that I can finish running conduit.

This is located in a detached garage and I stripped out all of the old wiring prior to starting this project. Getting too darn old to be tripping over extension cords and I have a cnc just sitting gathering dust instead of making it!

If memory serves me I used #1 aluminum. What type of splice do you recommend for this?
I'm not exactly sure about your question here. And I am not offering any advice on splicing alu. service cable. But what I generally do in these situations is go ask your local electrical supply store. What many people don't realize is that your local electrical suppliers are dealing with contractors & have on staff some really knowledgeable people that are happy to answer your DIY questions. I WOULD not ask anyone at the big box stores.
maddog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks and I agree none of the big box stores have a clue. Cheap labor is far from being the smartest choice!

Unfortunately far too many of the supply houses are doing the same and not just electrical, hvac is the same way.

Last edited by Options; 07-03-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: New info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 438

I realize this can be quite frustrating waiting for a reliable and knowledgeable electrician to show because of their schedules but I would seriously consider not running any wire or doing any of the work yourself unless you know for sure you will be able to do it all yourself without the help of an electrician during any part of the install.

The reason why I say this is because most electricians will not continue on with work that a home owner started. It is a matter of liability and their insurance. I know I would not do it and never did.

If you do any of the work yourself I would highly suggest that you first find a reliable and licensed electrician that is willing to let you do some of the work before you start anything. Doing some of the work yourself without doing this first may cause you to wait a lot longer for an electrician who is willing to finish your work.

This is just a heads up
afjes2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #5

Thanks but never found it hard to do and have been doing my own for close to 50 years now. Went to trade school for it in 72 and worked in the field for awhile afterwards then picked up a few more electrical classes in 99 thru 01 when I went back to tech college for hvac and IAQ. I was a millwright for the 21 years between the two and have spent the past 17 running my own air duct cleaning company. Now getting ready for the next chapter - retirement and learning to run my very first cnc.

Its been 40 years since I bent conduit and once I began to see eye to eye with the chicago bender I bought I'm getting pretty good at it. Also really like the greenlee offset benders and wish I would have had them way back when.

I admit I'm a bit rusty and the code has changed a lot, but the basics haven't. Even it wouldn't be that bad if it weren't written by engineers. Its just far easier to ask than head over to the NFPA and dig thru their free online copy.

Have a Great 4th and Happy Birthday America!

Last edited by Options; 07-04-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

Re: Splicing What?

Quote:
... I now plan to extend my current 100 amp service to the new 200A main panel which is located 36' away. Would prefer to splice these as the sub panel needs to come out so that I can finish running conduit. ...

Glad to see you have so much experience.

As I was re-reading your original post I have to say I am a bit confused. Are you saying you are upgrading your present 100amp service to the new 200 amp service? I ask because you can't run a 200amp main panel from a 100amp panel (if you did you would still only get max 100amp). The 100amp panel would be the main panel then and the 200amp (rated) the sub panel.

Quote:
What type of splice do you recommend for this?
What splice are you referring to and why do you need a splice?

Quote:
If memory serves me I used #1 aluminum
You used #1 aluminum for what and how many conductors?

You titled your post "Splicing" but I don't quite know what you are splicing. Maybe more clarified details.

Are you just stating what you have decided to do already?
mpoulton likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

Old 07-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

I agree that everyone of you know the code better than I do, but residential work itself is not hard and the name of this site implies that this is somewhere DIYer's can go for advice not sarcasm.

If you truly don't want to give that advice, why are you here?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by afjes2015 View Post
Glad to see you have so much experience.
Yeah it's a shame we didn't have the internet and youtube back then. We actually had to buy books and/or take classes instead.

Quote:
As I was re-reading your original post I have to say I am a bit confused. Are you saying you are upgrading your present 100amp service to the new 200 amp service? I ask because you can't run a 200amp main panel from a 100amp panel (if you did you would still only get max 100amp). The 100amp panel would be the main panel then and the 200amp (rated) the sub panel.
Not at all. I am in the process of replacing my current 100A subpanel from the 100A breaker in the main panel in my home with a second 200A service and meter from the pole to the garage.

Quote:
That splice are you referring to and why do you need a splice?
The subpanel was in the way and I simply wanted to extend the feed to the new panel so that I could remove the subpanel to finish running the emt thru that area. Instead I moved it a couple of times and yes I shut off the power first, but am now considering keeping it to have additional power available if needed once the new 200A service is completed.

Quote:
You used #1 aluminum for what and how many conductors?
My bad! I relied on memory when I should have checked first. It is 2/2/2/4.

Quote:
You titled your post "Splicing" but I don't quite know what you are splicing. Maybe more clarified details.
I wanted to extend the 2/2/2/4 to run temporary power to the new 200A main panel while I wait patiently for the power company to show up. I realize they are busy and that it has only been 14 months since they issued the work order that they can no longer find! Life kept getting in the way last year so it wasn't a big deal, but now want to see this done. They issued a new work order 3 weeks ago and are not returning calls. I'll give them another week then I'm calling the PUC.

Quote:
Are you just stating what you have decided to do already?
I wouldn't have asked otherwise, but this is no longer an issue.

Last edited by Options; 07-04-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,200

Quote:

Not at all. I am in the process of replacing my current 100A subpanel from the 100A breaker in the main panel in my home with a second 200A service and meter from the pole to the garage.

The subpanel was in the way and I simply wanted to extend the feed to the new panel so that I could remove the subpanel to finish running the emt thru that area. Instead I moved it a couple of times and yes I shut off the power first, but am now considering keeping it to have additional power available if needed once the new 200A service is completed.

My bad! I relied on memory when I should have checked first. It is 2/2/2/4.

I wanted to extend the 2/2/2/4 to run temporary power to the new 200A main panel while I wait patiently for the power company to show up. I realize they are busy and that it has only been 14 months since they issued the work order that they can no longer find! Life kept getting in the way last year so it wasn't a big deal, but now want to see this done. They issued a new work order 3 weeks ago and are not returning calls. I'll give them another week then I'm calling the PUC.

I wouldn't have asked otherwise, but this is no longer an issue.

-You can remove the 100a subpanel and replace with a 100a disconnect and feed a 200a sub with that.

-If you get a new service on the garage from the pole, the feeder from the house must be removed - a structure can not have 2 sources of power.
mpoulton and jbrah like this.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #11

Thank you, wasn't thinking about that aspect of it.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,606

For the actual splicing, Polaris connectors would be my choice.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
For the actual splicing, Polaris connectors would be my choice.
Thank you. I'll check with the local suppliers on Monday.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
-You can remove the 100a subpanel and replace with a 100a disconnect and feed a 200a sub with that.

-If you get a new service on the garage from the pole, the feeder from the house must be removed - a structure can not have 2 sources of power.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement