Splicing 14-2 To 6-3 For 120v Load - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Splicing 14-2 to 6-3 for 120v load

I'm trying to finish what a previous electrician started at a friends house. I have plenty of electrical experience but I'm hesitant to go on what the other electrician left for instruction on how to finish. I am wiring an outdoor plug for a small pond pump. What the guy did was run 14 gauge wire from the outdoor plug to a j box under the deck where he spliced it to 6 gauge wire (The black) that was already there (For a future hot tub that the owners will never get).

The 6 gauge is outside the panel now and he said to just use the black and hook it up to a 15amp breaker.

What I'm wondering is if any 15 amp breaker will hold a 6 gauge wire? Should I put another junction box near the panel and spice 14-2 to it and then run that to the panel (Making 14-2 splices on both ends)? Is any of this above the board? I've never ran into this before and I'm hesitant to go off his words because he did such a shoddy job waterproofing the boxes (I opened them up and they were 1/3 filled with water, which I now have to dry and fix right). Thank god he didn't power the circuit or the house would have burned down. It's extremely difficult right now to run a new 14-2 from the deck jbox to the panel.

Thanks.

Last edited by beatle; 06-09-2010 at 01:12 PM.
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

You can run the #6 cable directly into the panel and splice on a #14 pigtail there to connect to the (15 amp.) breaker.

By "black only" you must also use the white wire in the #6 cable for the neutral.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-09-2010 at 04:52 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

There is no problem connecting #6 to a 15-amp breaker you can splice a piece of #14 to the end so it will fit on the breaker. What bothers me is you say you have boxes under the deck and they have been filling with water? Is this a pool deck? If it is and this wiring is within 10 feet of the pool it needs to be GFCI protected and if your boxes are filling with water you will never be able to keep the gfci from tripping. If you are not sure I strongly recommend you hire a licensed electrician to at least check out what you have to be sure it is safe. It will be well worth paying him for the service call.
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's. I'll splice a #14 in the panel. By black I mean he never used the red for power. I'll connect the ground and neutral in the panel. The plug in the yard is gfci protected. It's just that he didn't put the plug in the yard on right and it lets water in (It's on a post by the pond but the underground portion of the run form the pond plug to the jbox by the house is to code).

As for the junction box under the deck (It's attached to the side of the house), he didn't seal it properly and it was full of water. I have to fix these first.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

GFCI protected at the plug is no good if this assembly is next to a pool it must be GFCI protected prior to that location, as in a GFCI breaker in the panel. If it is not by a pool then you may be ok! A picture would be nice!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,800

If you use a junction box next to the panel for the splices instead of run the #6 cable into the panel, do not cut the cable. The next homeowner might want to reconfigure the #6 cable as a high current (up to 60 ampere) circuit and run the cable all the way into the panel.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

It's not directly by the pond (It's not a swimming pool) and it's in the grey area where you don't have to have a GFCI breaker according to it's location but it might be a good idea. Extra safety for electrical is never a bad idea and they aren't that much money. Unfortunately I can't have pictures until Sunday as I won't be returning to the house until then.

And I will leave the bulk of the #6 for the next homeowner to do with what they wish. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement