Speaker Wire Conversion. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Speaker wire conversion.

I'm not amazing with electronics, but i have a basic knowledge and just needed to know if there is any way of converting surround sound speaker system cables for a DVDplayer to 3.5mm jack. The current wires are just wires with a clip plug thing and was wondering if it were possible to attach the wire ends to a 3.5mm jack cable. Or if it is possible to take out the connection circuitry inside the DVDplayer and connect the wires from that to a 3mm jack? Thanks.
Excor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excor3 View Post
way of converting surround sound speaker system cables for a DVDplayer to 3.5mm jack.
take out the connection circuitry inside the DVDplayer and connect the wires from that to a 3mm jack?
Yes. At audio freqs the signals don't much care about the connectors.

For low damping factor you should have hefty cables, though, depending on how good your hearing is.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

Yes there will be a problem, because you are going to pick up interference on the wire. Reason is length of run, which causes impedance, and ingress of noise caused by unshielded wire used for the signal. Personally I would not do it, and do it the right way.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes there will be a problem, because you are going to pick up interference on the wire. Reason is length of run, which causes impedance, and ingress of noise caused by unshielded wire used for the signal. Personally I would not do it, and do it the right way.
Then use twisted pair.

The impedance levels are low so you'd need a pretty strong interfering field.

Test it; run a length of wire into speakers with nothing on the other end and see if you can hear anything at all. Listen for a 60 Hz hum. With the old fashioned 8000 ohm headsets like the crystal sets needed, maybe; with 8 ohms, I doubt it.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Then use twisted pair.

The impedance levels are low so you'd need a pretty strong interfering field.

Test it; run a length of wire into speakers with nothing on the other end and see if you can hear anything at all. Listen for a 60 Hz hum. With the old fashioned 8000 ohm headsets like the crystal sets needed, maybe; with 8 ohms, I doubt it.
Will still not work for use in audio installations. Twisted pair will cause more problems, then using plain old speaker wire. You will have more problems especially if trying to use for audio, especially with Digital audio. TP will work with POTS or something that is least forgiving, but not for audio in a home theater or use in recording.

Do it correctly the first time, and you have no problems. Do it like a hack, and you have just that, a hacks system that will not work.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excor3 View Post
I'm not amazing with electronics, but i have a basic knowledge and just needed to know if there is any way of converting surround sound speaker system cables for a DVDplayer to 3.5mm jack. The current wires are just wires with a clip plug thing and was wondering if it were possible to attach the wire ends to a 3.5mm jack cable. Or if it is possible to take out the connection circuitry inside the DVDplayer and connect the wires from that to a 3mm jack? Thanks.
If it is really a speaker jack on the DVD player that takes the 3.5mm plug cable then there is no problem connecting a matching 3.5mm plug to the surround sound speaker cable and plugging that into your DVD player. You will probably want thinner pigtails about a foot long between the speaker cable itself and the plug since the cable is probably very stiff.

But if this is a "low level" output from the player intended to go into a stereo receiver or A/V receiver, then you should be using shielded cable such as RG6 and not speaker cable.

An "8 ohm" output jack is a speaker output jack. A "1000 ohm" or an "8000 ohm" output is a low level output.

A DVD player output that is used to plug into speaker systems that have built in amplifiers and batteries or a power cable is probably a low level output.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-19-2010 at 08:04 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #7

I think they are 4ohm speakers,this is the only picture i could find of them and this is only the sub http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com...85?u=fylcheong . There are 5 mini speakers and 1 sub so 6 cables all together each split in 2. Is there no way i could take the connector port out of the dvd player and attach that to a 3.5mm cable instead of all 6 cables together?

A better view with the connectors, there are 6 of them all together http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k...S100zestaw.jpg
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #8

If there is AC power running to the speakers, which means there are internal amplifiers, then you need to be careful with shielding and whatnot.
The amplifier of the PC speaker that I took apart had 5k input impedance.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

I think it might be internal amplifiers because there was no separate power supply from the speakers, only connected to the dvd player
Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
If there is AC power running to the speakers, which means there are internal amplifiers, then you need to be careful with shielding and whatnot.
Why would there be AC voltage running to a speaker? Only thing that is amplitude is the frequency to drive the speakers, so that your ears can hear the sound coming out of them.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Why would there be AC voltage running to a speaker? Only thing that is amplitude is the frequency to drive the speakers, so that your ears can hear the sound coming out of them.
There could also be DC power running in, like on PC speakers. You need an amplifier to drive a voice coil; it's just a question of where it will be.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #12

Ok thanks, but is there still anyway i can get it to work as a 3.5mm or is there anything i can buy to convert it?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

So basicly you are trying to play your 7.1 speaker set with your Walkman or computer audio out.

Nope, you will only get very little out. The speakers are not self amplified (like computer speakers are). You need a 7.1 amplifier to run your system.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #14

Thank you, thats all i really needed to know i just didnt want to waste them because they were pretty good speakers
Old 05-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
There could also be DC power running in, like on PC speakers. You need an amplifier to drive a voice coil; it's just a question of where it will be.
No there isn't. The amplifier will send wattage, no volts through the speaker wire. The driver is a magnet that sees the amplitude of the signal, not power. The tighter the sine, the faster the driver will move. The looser the sine, the slower it will move. Also, depending on how the sine wave is created with larger or smaller hills and valleys, depends on the amplitude or frequency that is sent to the driver for it to reproduce.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement