Is This Sound And Safe For Power To A Shed? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 09-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #1

Is this sound and safe for power to a shed?

Running power to a shed from main home panel. Would like to make sure my thought process is correct before proceeding.

20 amp breaker installed in panel. Wires run to a junction box and terminate. My plan is to....

* Run 12/2 between 25-30 ft. To corner of house closest to shed and out old cable tv hole in wall, then another 20 ft. to shed.

*shed will have 4 power receptacles, and 2 light switches each powering a light source.
First stop for wire in shed is GFCI. Then the other 3 receptacles, then the lights and switches. All receptacles and switches will be TR 15 amp..except GFCI which I think has to be 20. All receptacles will be ran line to line for simulated GFCI. Once past receptacles.. Are light switches also protected? Do they have a line/load side?

Ground is hard and will be hand dug.. But gonna go with UF - B 12/2 and dig to the 12" mark. Between ground and entry to house shed, I wasnt gonna use anything.. But maybe a service ell is prudent. Will the fact that this is fed on its own circuit from panel count as GFCI before entering ground? I assume it must. Cost deciding I may run UF for all instead of switching from 12/2 romex for the interior house portion, then switch to UF, then back to romex inside shed.

Best way to make sure I have the line/load correct from the start? Im thinking whatever wire is on the feed side of the panel is my line.. Which I assume will have main feeder lines attached to it.
Lastly anyone have a diagram or sketch of the proper way to have the 4 receptacles, 2 light switches, and lights wired. I was going to go one long chain.. But am thinking there might be a more prudent way. Also want to make sure I have all the grounds correct etc.

Thanks
Grinder_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,508

Re: Is this sound and safe for power to a shed?

First, if you use UFB, the trench will need to be 24". I would run PVC conduit, which will be at 18" and run individual THWN wires, white, black and green to your shed. Use an LB at the point where it leaves your house and enters the shed, and continue with PVC using sweeps and straight lengths of conduit. Once in the shed, you would connect your first receptacle, GFCI, to the LINE side. From there out, you would use the LOAD side to the remaining regular receptacles. You only need one GFCI receptacle to protect the remainder. I would also come off the LINE side of the GFCI to your switch, and wire your lights from there, breaking the black wire at the switch with a continuous white and ground. I would convert to NM-B when inside unless you wanted to continue with conduit and THWN. You will need to protect the THWN in conduit until you enter a junction box inside the shed, from where you can leave with NM_B.
trentonmakes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 596

run PVC all the way,

run 3 #12 wires,

black, white, green

install 20 amp GFCI in main panel,
anyacolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,826

Why would they use a GFI in the main panel?
It would cost 3 times as much, and every time it tripped you would have to walk all the way to the house to reset it.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 434

Having GFCI at house allows 12" direct bury, otherwise 24"

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
First, if you use UFB, the trench will need to be 24". I would run PVC conduit, which will be at 18" and run individual THWN wires, white, black and green to your shed. Use an LB at the point where it leaves your house and enters the shed, and continue with PVC using sweeps and straight lengths of conduit. Once in the shed, you would connect your first receptacle, GFCI, to the LINE side. From there out, you would use the LOAD side to the remaining regular receptacles. You only need one GFCI receptacle to protect the remainder. I would also come off the LINE side of the GFCI to your switch, and wire your lights from there, breaking the black wire at the switch with a continuous white and ground. I would convert to NM-B when inside unless you wanted to continue with conduit and THWN. You will need to protect the THWN in conduit until you enter a junction box inside the shed, from where you can leave with NM_B.
So NM_B in house.. And in shed.. Individual wire in pvc conduit between. When you say breaking the black wire at the switch.... So white black and ground go in and only white and ground leave? And what of knowing line\load initially?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
and every time it tripped you would have to walk all the way to the house to reset it.

you mean a whole 20 or 30 feet?

yeah thats quite a hike!
anyacolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyacolo View Post
you mean a whole 20 or 30 feet?

yeah thats quite a hike!
Just because the wire is only 30' long doesn't mean that is all you need to hike. My basement entrance door is on the furthest side of my house from the panel. If an in house gfci tripped my round trip hike would be closer to 400'.
Nealtw likes this.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,364

In that case I would not use a GFCI breaker. You run the wire to the exterior and mount a 20 amp GFCI receptacle/weatherproof box on the side of the house. Take your shed feeder of the load side of the GFCI receptacle. Your oneway walk is now 30 ft. to reset the GFCI.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
In that case I would not use a GFCI breaker. You run the wire to the exterior and mount a 20 amp GFCI receptacle/weatherproof box on the side of the house. Take your shed feeder of the load side of the GFCI receptacle. Your oneway walk is now 30 ft. to reset the GFCI.
If my first receptacle is a gfci.. Does this not serve the same purpose, and if all power is directed through it. I only have to walk to inside shed
Old 09-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 320

Oh, I'd probably just dig the 30' run an extra 6" deep, run pvc conduit and put the gfci in the shed, regardless.

The op is asking for suggestions and there have been many good ones posted for a safe and compliant installation. It will be up to him to decide on what's best for him.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Oh, I'd probably just dig the 30' run an extra 6" deep, run pvc conduit and put the gfci in the shed, regardless.

The op is asking for suggestions and there have been many good ones posted for a safe and compliant installation. It will be up to him to decide on what's best for him.
Ground is hard as hard can be... I was mainly wanting to make sure I thinking correctly in regards to overall project but wasnt sure if breaker counted as a gfci before ground burial. As it apoarently does not.. I guess i am installing one somewhere. If it wasnt such a hassle I would go metal conduit to only dig 6". So I have settled on romex to jinction box before exotong house.. Switch to direct burial.. Pvc conduit between house and 12"...no conduit at 12"deep.. Pvc conduit back up and into shed to a junction box.. Switch back to romex... Then to gfci.. Followed by other 3 outlets... And lights somewhere along way. All thenwiring diagrams showna ground that appears to go to each box... Is this in additiin to the ground screw.. Or something else.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,364

Quote:
If my first receptacle is a gfci.. Does this not serve the same purpose, and if all power is directed through it. I only have to walk to inside shed
No, a gfci in the shed only protects down stream of it (against a ground fault in the shed.)
The only reason they let you go 12 inches of cover instead of 18 or 24, is a GFCI on/in the house will protect you against a dig in.

The 12 inches is only allowed on 15 or 20 amp 120v gfci protected circuits in residential.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Quote:
No, a gfci in the shed only protects down stream of it (against a ground fault in the shed.)
The only reason they let you go 12 inches of cover instead of 18 or 24, is a GFCI on/in the house will protect you against a dig in.

The 12 inches is only allowed on 15 or 20 amp 120v gfci protected circuits in residential.
I believe thats what this is. A dedicated circuit from panel (20 amp) to shed for lights and basic power.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,508

To recap most of the comments a little: GFCI breaker in house panel. 12-2 NM-b from breaker to junction box before it exits building. Conduit with LB from junction box to house 12 gauge THWN/THHN to a depth of 12" to the shed, with sweep up to shed junction box, transitioning back to 12 NM-B cable to all receptacles, switches and lights. No further need for GFCI receptacle and you can wire it like you want. GOOD: you don't have to dig 18-24". BAD: if breaker trips on GF, everything, including lights go out. Lesser of evils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement