Solar For Shed? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Solar For Shed?

Hello! I have a small shed that currently has no electric running to it, although I do have a porch light mounted as well as a small interior light since I had plans of running electrical to the shed to power these lights. Then I thought I'd like to learn more about how solar setups work and found out small kits are available! What better way to learn about solar setups than to install one myself? And what better project to try it than with the shed?

So my question is, can anybody recommend an affordable solar kit that I can use to power my shed lights? Here's some info about how I plan to use electrical with my shed:

*The interior light will not be used much as we don't really go to the shed at night, but it would be nice to have light in the shed for when we do go out there and have to find something at night.

*the porch light on the shed has a dusk-to-dawn adapter and will stay on all night but it uses an LED bulb and doesn't draw much power.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

-Seth
dezandseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,328

Panels are readily available and you won't need much to power a couple of lights. But this would be an "off-grid" setup so if you want light when you actually need it (at night) you will need a battery back up system. Here is an example of a small one that's made to run 12 v stuff. It would easily power a couple of led lights. I have no idea is this particular link is a good deal or not, it's just an example I found. You could use a cheap inverter to power small a/c items. They make these backup systems as large as you like with a/c inverters but they get very very $$$$.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/backup...ackup-kit.html
dezandseth (08-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gama-Soni...0#.Ugji9tKkosY

We have something like this at our camp. Works well enough. Unfortunately if you are looking to have a 120V system it will get very expensive. It would definitely be cheaper to run wire from your house.

Take a look at http://www.builditsolar.com They would have a lot of projects and ideas for you.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shazapple For This Useful Post:
dezandseth (08-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,888

HF has a solar yard light...motion activated. We have one....I'm surprised at how much light it puts out...the solar cell is only about 6" x 6"....the light is LED...

Put the cell on top...light inside...when you walk it, it will turn on.

I think it was like $20.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
dezandseth (08-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement