Solar Inverter - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Solar Inverter

I would like to build my own inverter (if possible). Is this a good idea and if so where would I find specs and schematics?

Thanks
Les Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Would this be connected onto your home service at all? Or would it be standalone?
DownRiverGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Just how much do you know about electricity?

I assume you are trying to take DC power from a solar panel and convert it to 120v AC to run standard electrical devices.

If so, then you need to already know the basics of what you are trying to do and just need fillers on some of the details.

But the wording of your question leaves me with the impression that you might not be all that knowledgable about electricity.

Given that 120v is something that can kill, I would say "If you have to ask 'is this a good idea' then the likely answer is 'No'".
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

If the inverter is going to be tied into the utility, it absolutely must be UL listed, and IEEE929 approved.

If it's going to power a 120 volt AC load from the solar cells, it would be rather difficult, but not impossible to build one from scratch. The best way here would be to get a charge controller, some batteries, and a factory built inverter. I seriously doubt that anyone could build an inverter for less money than a similar one could be bought.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownRiverGuy View Post
Would this be connected onto your home service at all? Or would it be standalone?
I would like to connect the solar system to my home service. Going through the Going Green manuals now to try and understand the process. I have lots of questions but have not finished the manuals I have so am reluctant to ask them. Thanks for responding.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #6

Solar Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
Just how much do you know about electricity?

I assume you are trying to take DC power from a solar panel and convert it to 120v AC to run standard electrical devices.

If so, then you need to already know the basics of what you are trying to do and just need fillers on some of the details.

But the wording of your question leaves me with the impression that you might not be all that knowledgable about electricity.

Given that 120v is something that can kill, I would say "If you have to ask 'is this a good idea' then the likely answer is 'No'".
I studied electricity/electronics in college but that was 40 years ago. I am well aware of the respect that electricity demands and take precaution at all times. Thanks for the caution.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #7

Solar Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
If the inverter is going to be tied into the utility, it absolutely must be UL listed, and IEEE929 approved.

If it's going to power a 120 volt AC load from the solar cells, it would be rather difficult, but not impossible to build one from scratch. The best way here would be to get a charge controller, some batteries, and a factory built inverter. I seriously doubt that anyone could build an inverter for less money than a similar one could be bought.

Rob
Rob, thanks; that is exactly what I wanted to know. Now I can get on with buying an inverter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement