"smart" Solution For Controlling Lights On Separate Circuits - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

"smart" solution for controlling lights on separate circuits

Greetings:

I ran into a problem when working with some knob and tube wiring with a three-way switch--two lights at the top and bottom of a stairway--and decided to run new wiring to the top light. They had the previous wiring spliced into other knob and tube in the attic and I have been at a loss trying to make heads or tails of it (nothing is color coded, of course and just spliced in with old tape and not in electrical boxes)--I've tried every combination when rewiring the three-way and nothing is working.

I cannot easily run new wiring to the bottom light and switch because it's plaster and lathe and the electrical run goes through the floor joists, so plan B is just to separate them into two, two-way circuits--the upper light being on a new circuit I wired in the attic, and the bottom light would be on the old circuit.

While this will work, it is inconvenient that the lights would no longer be linked. That said, I'm curious if anyone knows of a "smart" lighting system that would wirelessly trigger one switch when another is toggled? In other words, a virtual three-way switch.

I took a look at TP-Link's switches, but it does not appear that they can be "coupled" together. They do support IFTTT, but can not be used as a trigger action--in other words, turning on a switch cannot trigger an IFTTT action.

I found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015E7DTW4/

But would like something that would fit in the existing box and look more like a traditional switch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

Plan C, of course, is to break into the plaster and lath and just run new wiring, but I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Thanks!
Jägs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 984

Re: "smart" solution for controlling lights on separate circuits

I think it would work. The receiver is small (2" diameter and 1" thick) and should fit in the existing junction box.

If you've run new wiring to the light fixture box, you can leave the wiring to the old switches alone.
RAL238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,316

put a photo sensor on the light then when the other is turned on it follows.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
put a photo sensor on the light then when the other is turned on it follows.
They are separated by the second floor, so this would not work.
Jägs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 984

Do you have a neutral in both switch boxes? I kind of doubt it if the old wiring was knob and tube. But if you do have neutrals, you could use Insteon, UPB or Z-wave switches, which allow you to control multiple independent switches by creating "scenes".
RAL238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,234

Lutron Caseta is available at Home Depot. It is a wired switch with wireless companion switch. The wireless locations can be battery powered.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement