Sharing An Outlet Box For A Splice - Code? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

sharing an outlet box for a splice - code?

is there any code violation if i have this situation (indoor)--

>a 2-gang outlet box, has two duplex outlets, one on breaker A, the other on breaker B, each being fed with 12-2 romex

AND

>> there is a cable splice (romex in <> romex out) and these cables are on a third breaker (let us say C).

ideally, i would not have one box being served by multiple circuits but this is a tiled wall so adding switch/outlet boxes will require a major surgery to the wall.

thanks
drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

There is no problems with multiple circuits in the same box. you do need to tie all the ground together and also have enough cubic inch capacity for all the wires.

On a side note, I think I would label the back of the trim plate with all the correct circuit numbers that are in the box.
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #3

thanks jim...

the double-gang box has an inch to spare in volume per code though it does not look that crowded and i follow the ground (ing) rules (no pun intended) seriously for my own safety.

good suggestion on marking the breaker-numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
There is no problems with multiple circuits in the same box. you do need to tie all the ground together and also have enough cubic inch capacity for all the wires.

On a side note, I think I would label the back of the trim plate with all the correct circuit numbers that are in the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

As Jim mentioned, your box needs to be big enough for all those.

The minimum size box you need is 13 conductor allowances x 2.25 cu. in. for each = 29.25 cu. in. box space.

If using a plastic box, the box volume will be molded into the box.

If using a metal box, you would have the same required volume as long as the romex clamps have their actual clamping mechanism outside of the box (since it takes up mimimal space on the inside).
Old 06-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #5

i am planing to use a carlon double gang 34 ci.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
As Jim mentioned, your box needs to be big enough for all those.

The minimum size box you need is 13 conductor allowances x 2.25 cu. in. for each = 29.25 cu. in. box space.

If using a plastic box, the box volume will be molded into the box.

If using a metal box, you would have the same required volume as long as the romex clamps have their actual clamping mechanism outside of the box (since it takes up mimimal space on the inside).
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 91

sharing an outlet box

I believe I have a similar situation with an outlet box to the right of my kitchen sink. Half the box is a duplex switch, the other half is a duplex receptacle.

I have a feed coming in from one circuit, providing power to a switched kitchen light and a switched outdoor flood light.

I have another feed from a different circuit feeding the receptacle, and then a daisy chain to a downstream receptacle.

So it has been said that its OK to have multiple circuits in one box, but what if everything is wired with the old cloth-covered NM with no ground?
debiasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Still Ok to have multiple circuits in the junction box

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement