Service Upgrade - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Service Upgrade

I'm looking into upgrading the service from the 100 amp to a 200 amp.

I have the book from the power company on all the oudside stuff. is it accepted by code (I'm in NYS) to have junction boxes to extend the wire into the new panel? The current is a mess of fuze boxes fairly close to the floor and obviusly the new panew would be higher and there's not anywhere near enough wire int he walls to have any kind of slack.
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

do you mean from the new panel to the old panel or old panel location?

It shouldn't be any problem as long as you respect proper wire or conduit use, pipe fill, and box fill codes when doing this.

you cannot cover junction boxes. They must remain accessible.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

from the old panel location to extend the wires to the new location.

The good thing is the Gas meter was moved outside the house so I have room within a couple of feet of the old panel to mount the new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

sounds like it would be fine. Just use approved wiring methods. I know in some parts of NY NM (romex) is not allowed and due to my unfamiliarity with NY codes, I do not know what is and is not allowed in any specific area.

just make sure what you use is approved by your local building department and inspector.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

I recently had an electrical inspection done in my own house, also in NYS (I am upstate in the Albany area). The neutral feed to the meter wasn't quite long enough to make it to the neutral bus bar, so they extended it with a "split bolt". The inspector said that this was not up to code, and you need to use an "irreversible connection" to make this splice. I hired an electrician a couple weeks ago to replace this bolt for me. He used a crimper and metal tube. He slid each wire (I think #4) into an end of the tube, and crimped it with a huge crimper. The only way to remove it is to cut it of.

It sounds like this might be the proper method to splice your neutral. Not sure what you'd do about the hots, since you wouldn't the metal tube exposed. If i were installing a new panel, I'd prefer new wires run from the meter rather than extending existing ones.

Take all this with a grain of salt, because these other guys know way more than I do

Last edited by secutanudu; 02-01-2010 at 01:33 PM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I recently had an electrical inspection done in my own house, also in NYS (I am upstate in the Albany area). The neutral feed to the meter wasn't quite long enough to make it to the neutral bus bar, so they extended it with a "split bolt". The inspector said that this was not up to code, and you need to use an "irreversible connection" to make this splice. I hired an electrician a couple weeks ago to replace this bolt for me. He used a crimper and metal tube. He slid each wire (I think #4) into an end of the tube, and crimped it with a huge crimper. The only way to remove it is to cut it of.

It sounds like this might be the proper method to splice your neutral. Not sure what you'd do about the hots, since you wouldn't the metal tube exposed. If i were installing a new panel, I'd prefer new wires run from the meter rather than extending existing ones.

Take all this with a grain of salt, because these other guys know way more than I do
he is putting in a new service and new panel and especially since the new service will require larger wire, I suspect he will not be faced with your situation but other than that, yes, your advice is relevant and sound..

btw? there are insulating materials that would provide an acceptable repair if needed.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #7

Yeah full new service & panel.. moving the meter head outside, as it's currently indoors (they did upgrade to remode read a couple of years ago now)

The other issue is not all the wires have grounds in them. The ones that do are to the wet areas (Kitchen, Bathroom & Laundry areas) as I had to put in a sub panel for a electric dryar and just went ahead and upgraded all those anyway. The house was built in the mid 40's if that helps with the wire type I can say it's not Aluminum.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

depending on how your local area treats it, that (lack of grounds) could be a problem or not. Where I live, I do not believe it would present a problem as the inspector would consider it existing. In other areas I believe the inspectors would require egc's as what ever is connected to your work can be required to be installed to current standards depending on how you interpret the code.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #9

I'd hope the worst would be making me change the 3 pronged outlest back to 2........ the others were easy to upgrade while I had a couple of walls & part of the celing opened up to run the new wire for the dryer,.... Guess it couldn't hurt to ask Code Enforcement.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

you don't seem to be trying to hide anything so asking would be the best thing.

sounds like you are on the right track with this.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to Magnettica

Done yet?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #12

I'm currently working on Funding for the project...... not like I have a few grand laying around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement