Service Panel Neutral Bond - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

service panel neutral bond

would i bond my circuit breaker panel if i can disconnect at my meter and this is what it looks like right under the meter doesnt seem to be bonded to me
rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The buss on the right is the neutral buss, both in and out are connected, and the buss is connected to the box, what is your question???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,800

The bond between neutral and ground is made at the first consumer
accessible main disconnect switch/breaker and separate neutral and ground
go from that point downstream.

The fact a meter can be removed does not make it a main disconnect switch.

In the example pictured above, the neutral is for better or worse bonded to ground
because the bus bar is riveted to (and thus making metal to metal contact)with)
the fuse box itself.

What I am not sure of is when the box with the main disconnect and the "main"
breaker/fuse panel are different boxes but nearly juxtaposed, whether the breaker/
fuse panel is also considered the location of the main disconnect and neutral may
be bonded to ground there.

I would not bother to unbond the neutral and ground in the situation pictured (needs
purchasing and installing a neutral bus set off by plastic brackets) unless ordered
to by an inspector.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-18-2010 at 10:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

Sure looks to me like the main disconnect. Could use a grounding electrode system or a service upgrade.

And it should be bonded as it is.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

so i can leave my breaker panel unbound on my end then or it wouldnt matter if it is or not

what i was trying to get at is sould my ground in my breaker panel be bonded to neutral
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

No. Not if the picture is the service disconnect. The equipment grounds in your panel should be connected to a grounding electrode system as should the disconnect. It is probably an old and undersized service. 60 amps????

I would suggest you leave the system alone and have it inspected by a qualified electrician who can evaluate the whole system. We are only looking at one part of the sysem.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

If the panel in your posted picture is the service equipment and is the first place you can disconnect the utility power from your home then any panel down stream of that panel will have neutral and ground separated. As brric said it sure looks like it cause it is a service equipment only panel.

It sounds like you have a breaker panel downstream of the panel pictured. I also see panels on either side of the panel your picturing.

So you need to clear all this up for us. The panel pictured is service equipment with fuse pullouts for the main breaker and a range branch circuit.

So where is this 'breaker panel' in relation to the service equipment shown?

Where is it fed from? ...is it from the panel your are picturing?

If so then your using the range fuse pull out to protect the feeder to the breaker panel?

Also what are the two panels either side of the panel your showing

Lastly is this a continuation of your thread about that mobile home your rewiring?

If so you need to connect the dots for us...start with the meter, where it is located, where everything else is located and tell us how everything is fed from the meter and then from the first means of disconnect (service equipment).

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #8

the system is an old system mobile home at that. the breaker panel is grounded to earth. i thought it was weird with 3 wires comming in and the ground wasnt bonded with the neutral
in that picture the meter is right above the box their is no disconnect (fuses or breaker) till you come to the panel in the home and only those 3 wires are their 2 hots and the neutral
Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Is the panel you pictured mounted on the outside wall of this mobile home?

Stubbie
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #10

no its about 40-50 feet away in a little enclosure with 2 services that are the same. the cables are then ran underground to the home
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I'm not sure what you mean by 2 services that are the same.

Anyway this whole deal is really screwed up.

Are you planning on reusing the pictured panel in this thread and the ones in the mobile home that are in your other thread shown below??

Stubbie
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #12

power from the power company comes to a little leantoo where their are 3 services to 2 other trailors the one pictured is mine from that picture basicaly their are 3 wires (2 hots and a neutral) running from their to my
breaker box (i call it a breaker box it is really a lug ) the lug is grounded to a grounding rod under the trailor. now none of my grounds (outlets ,etc) in the trailor are at any point connected to the neutral at all (neutral is isolated in the box) they goto the box then to the ground rod under the trailor. now do they need to be bonded to neutral? or they are fine the way they are
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

IMO you probably should get some local knowledgable help. I would not keep any of the panels you are picturing. The feeder to the trailor needs to be 4 wires from the sevice equipment (H-H-N-Grd). All of these need to be insulated in conduit or 4 wire direct bury mobile home feeder. At the disconnecting means and panel in the mobile home you separate neutral and ground and do not bond them. You do not run your branch circuit grounding conductors to the ground rod. They go to the grounding bus in the mobile home distribution panel (not bonded with neutral). The ground rod needs a #6 copper grounding electrode conductor clamped to it with listed clamp device from the grounding bus in the mobile home panel. You need a #8 copper bonding jumper or larger from the grounding bus in the mobile home panel to the frame of the mobile home.

Get it inspected by your county building inspector!! MY research tells me that there are a lot of electrocutions due to energized metal in mobile homes.
So the inspector is your friend and will keep you alive.

The ground rod looks like a driven piece of rebar? You need to replace it with a listed ground rod.

The service equipment should be within 30 feet of the home but I don't know what your local codes require or will allow.

Are you starting to see why you may need some professional assistance ??

Stubbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement