Service Entrance Interior Conduit Requirement - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Service Entrance Interior Conduit Requirement

Hello everyone. I hope this will seem like an elementary question. I am upgrading an overhead 100 amp service entrance to an underground 200 amp entrance. Details have required the new meter base to be located beyond the 10' requirement, so a locally approved meterbase with disconnect is part of the project. SE cable will then go the 22 - 23' from the new base/disconnect to the existing breaker box using a standard 4/0 grouped cable (this way the old 100 amp distibution box will be updated eventually and have a full 200 amp system) - Requirements locally and in an old NEC copy of course identify the details of the feed through conduit from the base/disconnect as it goes into the building. Unfortunately I cannot find anything specifying the need for conduit the entire length. I have a local code requirements for a "drip loop" and support within 12" of each end, and 30" throughout the run, which leads me to believe that the conduit is not necessary in addition to it being isolated with the 200A disconnect, but niether say one way or the other.
Can anyone verify whether new NEC requires conduit for the full length? The cost and the labor to do either will be about the same, so it doesn't matter wether I do or don't in that regard, I just want to know and possibly anticipate any future NEC requirements of the same as well.
FSE0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,407
Rewards Points: 3,658

Conduit would only be required if the cable was subject to physical damage. I don't know why you would need drip loops inside a structure.

Since you ahve an outside disconnect, the panel inside should be fed with a 4 wire feeder like SER cable. The neutrals and ground will be isolated in the inside panel.
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Entrance Question MeanGene Electrical 10 06-25-2010 01:46 AM
Individual Service Entrance Cables joshvette001 Electrical 48 06-20-2010 10:20 PM
Rewire 200A service entrance OffRoadAudio Electrical 4 08-24-2009 02:27 PM
Underground service entrance cable requirements. kgt55 Electrical 9 06-22-2009 06:55 AM
Service entrance dcwestcott Electrical 3 03-09-2009 06:11 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts